What's an original Dexta cowling worth?

Looking for parts? Got parts? Post it here!
Bensdexta
True Blue

What's an original Dexta cowling worth?

Post by Bensdexta »

Hi,
Can anyone suggest a ball park value for the cowling below?

It's abit battered around the bottom, but not bad.

I'm aware a repro one is about £220 but are they as good, do they fit properly and what price originality?
Any advice appreciated.
Many thanks,
Ben
PS: I'm thinking of buying not selling it :wink:

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

That one is fairly bashed and a new one would not require straightening which by the time you have finished, will probably cost nearly as much.

I would work on the old one myself or get someone to do it for me (going through the same problem with Dotty). I don't think I would give more that £50.00 myself.

New fibre glass? No way! IMHO.

A lot of the metal ones look good but the thickness of the metal is not as good as the original.

A new original in 1960 would cost you about £30.00 and you could get all the individual parts to repair them.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Frans
True Blue

Post by Frans »

Hello Ben,

I ve paid for my major cone € 150 original but with some work, without the grills. If original you pay abouth 50 euro for the grills

look well at the places where there metal is 2 plates (sorry I dont know the englisch word)

I would say take the original one if its not to expensive

When I restored my Dexta (8 years ago) I had give the cone with a lot of holes and rust to a car (tinplate) works man and he made it for ca 75 euros
regards Frans

who's afraid off blue orange and grey
1960 Power Major Roadless 6 cyl conversion
1964 NP Super Major

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Fran,
Thanks for your advice. I will keep looking for both old and new cowlings. Old ones seem to be hard to find. Bonnets and fuel tanks are much easier to find.
All the best,
Ben