Wanted - Standard Dexta Cowling

Looking for parts? Got parts? Post it here!
Bensdexta
True Blue

Wanted - Standard Dexta Cowling

Post by Bensdexta »

Before I opt for a new cowling, I'm looking for a 2nd hand cowling for my 62 Dexta. Any condition considered.

Thanks
Ben

Frans
True Blue

Post by Frans »

Ben,

Dont buy a new one before you have fittet on the dexta there is a lot of rubbish for sale.
regards Frans

who's afraid off blue orange and grey
1960 Power Major Roadless 6 cyl conversion
1964 NP Super Major

Bensdexta
True Blue

Dexta Cowling

Post by Bensdexta »

Frans wrote:Ben,

Dont buy a new one before you have fittet on the dexta there is a lot of rubbish for sale.
Frans,
Thanks for the advice. Can you recommend any particular one?

For example, I had a mail today from Vugot, who say that their Dexta cowlings are not Turkish or Indian units but are made to the exact tooling from the originals. They also say that if you are not satisfied they will be happy to refund the money and that to date no one has returned anything.

All advice appreciated,

Thanks again,

Ben

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Ben,
I am interested in a cowl too. Dotty's will take a fair bit of work to get right and I am wondering if it would be better to get a new one.

I am going to have a look at one in the next few days but I would be interested in what you find out about the one you are looking at.

Thickness of metal is the one thing I look for. I have seen a number that look fair but are made of tin plate.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Brian wrote:I am going to have a look at one in the next few days but I would be interested in what you find out about the one you are looking at.
Thickness of metal is the one thing I look for. I have seen a number that look fair but are made of tin plate.
Will do! Please do likewise! Perhaps weight is a useful indication of metal thickness too. I'll take my scales when I go to look at one.
thanks,
Ben

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

After reading this thread I googled "Vugot" and eventually found their web site.

I assume that they are a relatively new firm as I haven't seen any reference to them before.

Their inclusive prices for the Dexta and Super Dexta cowls are certainly competetive.

I will be interested to read your comments on the quality of their cowls.

Regards.

Gerald

Mike Kuscher
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Mike Kuscher »

Interesting site.
If you click on the individual pictures they 'zoom'.
I hope the 'paint runs' are not an indication of the rest of the quality.
Especially the Major nose cone !

http://www.vugot.com/fordsons.html

Mike

Bensdexta
True Blue

Vugot

Post by Bensdexta »

I gather Vugot is an enquiry parts site for people who know there part numbers.

They do sell parts such as the cowlings and fenders on their site and can also source parts if you know the part number. Is there anyone nearer Blandford than me (Reading) who fancies a look at their cowlings and can report back?
All the best,
Ben

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

Well spotted Mike!

They may have paint runs but I couldn't see any depressions in way of the spot welds which appear to be the hallmark of other cowls which I have examined. As far as I can tell from the photos the seams are straight and flush suggesting that these may well be worth buying. But the proof is in the fitting as has already been pointed out.

Gerald