Front tow hitch

Looking for parts? Got parts? Post it here!
LesLock
Not Quite Blue Yet

Front tow hitch

Post by LesLock »

I am looking for a car type tow hitch to attach to the front of my Super Major. This to help manoeuvre my caravan and trailers.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Front tow hitch

Post by Billy26F5 »

Won't it be a bit high on the front? A linkage mounted setup might be better, it also allows you to pick up the trailer and avoid having to retract the foot for a quick manoeuvre. Although we don't have a true setup Billy has handled a trailer like that with suitable success.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

LesLock
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by LesLock »

Hi Sandy. Yes it would be high but I have seen a picture of an industrial tractor where the front attachment sweeps down to a low level and that is the type of thing I am looking for. This particular attachment is actually bolted each side of the tractor. A front attachment will give much better control over the manoeuvring of a trailer/caravan.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

True, but it can also mean more work for the same result, especially if you're already in the hang of reversing trailers as it then means you have to change your technique. What you might have seen is the Muir-Hill shunter, but that is a very different kind of use. I still think you'll manage better with a rear mounted setup.
Sandy
ImageImageImage