Horndraulic loader seal kit?

This forum is about the tools you use to service your Fordson tractor AND about the implements you use when out in the field with Ol' Blue.
Ian H
Not Quite Blue Yet

Horndraulic loader seal kit?

Post by Ian H »

I have purchased an early Horndraulic loader to add to my Major. It is a trip loader with single acting lift rams. They both leak, one severely. I suspect the internal condition of the latter is not great, and besides replacement seals the cylinder will require attention. Does anyone know where I might get a suitable seal kit? Is it possible to hone the cylinder to improve pitting and rough spots? I pretty much got it spares/repairs for scrap money, but I have fitted it to the tractor and it works so I would like to repair it if not too extortionate!

https://imgur.com/U7ksMJ8

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Horndraulic loader seal kit?

Post by Billy26F5 »

I can't really help with the loader itself, but I definitely recommend 7.50-16 front tyres and plenty of grease in the front axle (more than you would for a normal tractor). If you intend to do any heavy work I would also recommend power steering and a bit of extra material to keep the front and rear nicely held without overstressing (as happened to many front end loader fitted Major's, noticeable by damaged bell housing bolts).
There is a manual for the Horndraulic loader on the FFCN.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Ian H
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Ian H »

Thanks, I have already upgraded the wheels. the ones it came with were pretty dire! The replacements are a bit on the large side, but as I got them for £50 the pair and they look really good they will stay on it for now!

Old Hywel
True Blue

Post by Old Hywel »

Seals for the later Horndraulic/Ford cylinders should be readily available, 2” from memory.
I don’t think your earlier model has the same rams, so measuring the diameter would be your first move. Companies such as Driveshaft Services near Bridgend should be able to supply what you need, even if they have to mould new parts.