Overrun Clutch

This forum is about the tools you use to service your Fordson tractor AND about the implements you use when out in the field with Ol' Blue.
Huzey
True Blue

Overrun Clutch

Post by Huzey »

Hi all
Anyone had any experience of these overrun clutches that fit on the PTO shaft of the tractor if you aren't live drive? Just wondered what you thought of them.
I bought one from the Malvern show from Patrick Edwards and used it for the first time yesterday. Thought it was brilliant except that I couldn't see where to fit the roll pin that was supplied with it. I assume that is to hold it on as there is no actual positive securing arrangement on it. :?:
All the best
Huzey

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Huzey
I agree with you that they are brillant. Well worth the money. Can't comment on the roll pin though, as mine has a spring loaded ring on the front.
Kiwi Kev

Mac
Not Quite Blue Yet

Overrunn clutch.

Post by Mac »

Hello,Huzey
Yes the roll pin is for holding the overrun clutch on the pto shaft.
I first used one years ago on a Ford 8N I used for brushhogging!!
After I went through a fence with the clutch in and trying to turn! :oops: I installed an overrun clutch and never made any more new fence openings!! :lol:

Always the Best
Mac :D

Tmac
True Blue

Re: Overrun Clutch

Post by Tmac »

Should be a bolt, plug, or a grease fitting on each side the housing. Take these out, align with clutch through hole in ratchet clutch. Then line up with the spline on the PTO shaft, that aligns with this hole. Slide on, center the hole, drive the roll pin through PTO shaft, make sure the roll pin is centered in the clutch housing. Check by turning the override clutch with you hand, should be turning free. Thats it!

Huzey wrote:Hi all
Anyone had any experience of these overrun clutches that fit on the PTO shaft of the tractor if you aren't live drive?
Thought it was brilliant except that I couldn't see where to fit the roll pin that was supplied with it.

I assume that is to hold it on as there is no actual positive securing arrangement on it. :?:
All the best
Huzey

Huzey
True Blue

Post by Huzey »

Many thanks for the replies.
Tmac, you are a star. I shall go out and stick it on now. Many thanks.
Huzey.