Ford Ransomes EP plough.

This forum is about the tools you use to service your Fordson tractor AND about the implements you use when out in the field with Ol' Blue.
henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Ford Ransomes EP plough.

Post by henk »

This is the plough that Brian brought over from England for me. At first site everything seems to be in good condition except for some bolds that were broken and a diskcouter that was damaged.
The first two bolds are drilled out and some parts of the diskcouter bracket has been cleaned. And Brian provided in another disk.

After I took a good look at the plough, I notice that the triangle were the top link is mounted was bended. Also the axle from the depth wheel that goes over the frame is bended so the depth wheel is not in the right angle to the frame.

The thing that worries me the most is that the frame gives a 14"plough, but at the point of the shares it's almost 16". I think the frame is twisted a bit.
Seems the plough had some serious rocks on it's way.

All can be fixed, but the frame is puzzling me. I will make some measurements to find out whether it’s the frame or the body holders. Any ideas how to bend the frame back?

About the colours.
The plough has two bleu colours. The dark is almost the same as the E27N and the light could be Fordson New Major. Any one who knows the right one? It could Ransomes bleu but it also could be Ford bleu.
The depth wheel is orange over bleu. Should it be orange or the same bleu as the rest?
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

jambug123
True Blue

Post by jambug123 »

there is no need to try to straighten the frame,
i would shim the frogs on the legs to pull the bodies into line.

Regards
James

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Henk,
You seem to have found a number of problems I missed. The width of the furrow is set by moving the legs on the frame and, as the difference is 2" I would think it has been set wide. It certainly ploughed OK when I tried it.

If there are any problems, let me know and I will arrange a refund and bring it back next time.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

henk

Post by henk »

Hello Brian,

Don't worry. I'm still very pleased with the plough. As I say all can be fixed, but it's a bit more work than I thought. The bodies and shares are perfect, and that’s important. The axle for the adjustments of the width is still not free. I think it has to do with the bending of the top.
The frogs are mounted on the 14" position but gives a 16"plough. As James writes it can be shimmed, but to get it 2"back I need almost 3mm of shim.
Kind regards, Henk

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Henk,
The EPJ allowed widths of 12", 14" and 16" for the different bodies used. Width was changed by moving the legs on the beams and moving them from front to back.

The cross shaft then allows the plough to move on the tractor to get the correct front furrow width.

Try measuring with a straight edge along the two land slides and see what you get. 2" is a heck of a way out of alignment and both Colin and I checked it out and we would have seen it.

The pitch of the points is also equal so I do not think she has hit anything. The area she comes from is fen land, that is why I got both ploughs from there, they are treated quite well compared to Norfolk.

I now have another TS59 so we have a replacement if needed.

Colours are dark blue with an orange wheel. They did not change to all Empire Blue until the TS59 came out. It seems that the early ploughs were painted in the same colours as the Elite and yours has the Elite wheel. We had an Elite with a similar wheel on my friends farm in the 1950's with a similar colour scheme.

Ransomes painted ploughs in many colours as paint became available after the war and sent them out in plain blue both lighter and darker than the Ford versions.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

henk

Post by henk »

Thanks Brian,

Is the other TS59 also a cat 2 version?
Kind regards, Henk

henk

Post by henk »

Hello Dutch guy's,

Is there anyone who can tell me were to find Ransomes plough spare parts in Holland. Need some new fasteners for my disc couters. Or can I use some from other brands?
Kind regards, Henk

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hello all,

I switch to Dutch for easyness, but there will be nothing in my text of any interest for people outside of holland I think. If there is, i'll be happy to translate.

Hallo Henk,

Om op je frame in te gaan, staan de armen waar de risters aan zitten aan de goede kant van het frame boven? Dit kan namelijk circa 2 duim ploegbreedte schelen, of is er echt iets krom? Als het namelijk nog enigszins acceptabel ploegt, kan het frame bijna niet krom zijn lijkt me. Ik kan het nu ook niet zo goed zien eerlijk gezegd. Misschien dat ik er met meer foto's iets van kan maken hoe het zit.

Als je naar www.kramp.com gaat en dan naar grondbewerkingstechniek, dan naar ploegen en dan naar ploegen ransomes, kom je bij een hoofdstukje bouten terecht. met de gevonden nummers zou je dan bij iedere lmb terecht moeten kunnen. Misschien hebben die het wle op voorraad dan.

Succes ermee. G

Groetn Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

henk

Post by henk »

Thanks Emiel,

A useful address. I found out that there are spare parts for a Ransomes plough on that site. But not the eyebolts that fit the round bar that holds the disc couter. You can see one on the second picture.

The size on the frame is 14". At the share points it gives 16". It could be that the bodies are turned, that could give a change of 2”. Standing behind the plough one must see vertically that many differents between the plough beams. I will water level the plough and make some new measurements.
Kind regards, Henk

Jan 59
True Blue

Post by Jan 59 »

Hello Henk,

Checked plough parts section of Sparex UK but nothing regarding eye bolts .
On checking my Ransomes books could not find the EPJ .
Have F-R deep digging EP2D-EP3D-EP2E of May 1949; another one quotes F_R mounted plough without EP no's .
Both have priced parts. Part no for eyebolt PM3A-133 price 4Sh. 4p
Not much help !
EPJ lookes more like Raven TS59 but cross shaft brackets are different.
May be an eye bolt of a Massey Harris plow will fit , they had fairly long ones . Personally I would make one myself.

Regards Jan

henk

Post by henk »

Thanks Jan,

The EP ploughs are Ford ploughs. That's why there not in the Ransomes books.
I try to find parts but if I can't I'll make them myself.
Kind regards, Henk

Jan 59
True Blue

Post by Jan 59 »

Henk ,

Checked my rusty iron garden , have a complete disc coulterclamp from a Ts82 , coulter stalk dia.; 35mm . Can mail photo if you wish.

Also found I.L.R. testreport of Ts59 looking very similar to your plow .
This report describes all the settings for width of cut. and of cause a full testreport. Any interest?

Regards Jan.

henk

Post by henk »

Thanks Jan,

Always interested. Please mail a picture.
One of these coming weeks a have a trip to Utrecht on a Friday or Saturday.
Kind regards, Henk

henk

Post by henk »

Made a new page on my site about the plough.

http://people.zeelandnet.nl/hmdetroije and click on Ford ploeg on the left. or go to
http://people.zeelandnet.nl/hmdetroije/ ... index.html
Kind regards, Henk

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Hi Henk,

Great story about your plough!
Best regards,
Pascal

Fordson's don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory.