bolts

This forum is about the tools you use to service your Fordson tractor AND about the implements you use when out in the field with Ol' Blue.
henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

bolts

Post by henk »

Hello,

A lot of bolds for my Ford Ransomes plough are in bad shape. I can easily find Metric bolts and hexagon headed bolts with UNC threat. BSW is a lot harder. I don't want to end up with three different bolt sizes like Metric, UNC and BSW. I would like to use the BSW bolts.
The problem over here is that I would have to buy about 50 bolts per size instead of the two or four that I need.
And I don't want to start a bolt shop.

How easy or hard would it be to find square bolts, cup square bolts and hexagon headed bolt with BSW threat in England. And would the cost, including sending them over, be les than buying them over here in Holland?

Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Bensdexta
True Blue

Imperial Bolts

Post by Bensdexta »

Henk,
I suggest you email a company such as this with details of the bolts you require: http://www.ahc-camberley.co.uk/catalog/index.php
All the best,
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

BSW is pretty scarce these days, I think imperial coach bolts could be virtually impossible to source, (willing to be proved wrong though!) are there some specific sizes you want, let us know maybe someone (myself included) has an odd one stashed away somewhere.
Hex headed UNF/UNC should not be a problem from most major fastener suppliers, even a choice of finish (zinc/plain/chrome/stainless etc) should be available.
Most BSW bolts are usually re-usable, the coarse thread seems to stand the test of time well. We have a 1940 scammell pioneer which uses BSW throughout, everything seems to come undone no problem. I guess stuff on wearing surfaces like mould boards will need replacing over time.