Dexta Loaders

This forum is about the tools you use to service your Fordson tractor AND about the implements you use when out in the field with Ol' Blue.
Bensdexta
True Blue

Dexta Loaders

Post by Bensdexta »

Has anyone bought a loader for their Dexta recently? A niceone just went on the bay.

Does anyone know the evolution of Horndraulic loaders, the usual one for Dextas?
Most of them seem to look like mine with the frame mounted on back axle and under the engine:
However there appears to be a later version, more often seen on Ford 2000 and 3000(?) like this:Image
Note the sidearms have holes in their apex, maybe for lifting them on/off the tractor? The mounting frame is vertical, clearly very different. However, a quick check of measurements indicates that the arms are the same size and should be interchangeable with the earlier version. Can anyone confirm this?
Did Horndraulic make a vertical mounting frame for the Dexta?

I think the vertical mounting frame with struts to front axle is kinder on the tractor as it should reduce the bending moment trying to snap the skid unit in half at the engine/bellhousing. However with the older style frame, if one hangs a counter weight on the 3PL, that will reduce the weight on the front wheels and the bending moment on the skid unit at engine/bellhousing. So maybe the older frame is not so bad after all. The load on the front wheels will be the same with either frame, so there's no difference as far as the front axle is concerned.

Has anyone got a Horndraulic with vertical frame on their Dexta?
Last edited by Bensdexta on Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

michael dyer
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by michael dyer »

The one pictured looks more like a Mil loader . I have recollections of mil loaders fitted to such tractors in the late 60's

jambug123
True Blue

Post by jambug123 »

my loader is mounted round to the front axle and is a mill loader,it works well the steering isnt that heavy with 1/2 ton bag of gravel on the forks, which is the max it will lift with the standard hydraulics as the knock off valve kicks in if you try to lift more.

regards
James

Bensdexta
True Blue

MIL Front Loader

Post by Bensdexta »

jambug123 wrote:my loader is mounted round to the front axle and is a mill loader,it works well the steering isnt that heavy with 1/2 ton bag of gravel on the forks, which is the max it will lift with the standard hydraulics as the knock off valve kicks in if you try to lift more.
That's good :wink:
How does the frame attach to the front of the tractor?
Is it a standard frame for the dexta or did you have to mod it yourself?
Thanks,

jambug123
True Blue

Post by jambug123 »

the front of the frame mounts under the front of the rad with bolts with 2 uprights going to the frame.
my loader came off a dexta which it was fitted to from new and i had the spool valve with it.

regards
James

Bensdexta
True Blue

Dexta front mounting

Post by Bensdexta »

jambug123 wrote:the front of the frame mounts under the front of the rad with bolts with 2 uprights going to the frame.
Just been looking at some of your pics. Is it attached using just the two lower rad mounting bolts?
I guess one could also attach it using the bolt that locates the front of the pivot pin (by fitting a longer bolt). That would take the load straight through to the pivot, where you want it.
All the best,

jambug123
True Blue

Post by jambug123 »

it is bolted under the front axle support using 2 hi tensile bolts and covers the complete underside of this.

Regards
James

Bensdexta
True Blue

Front Loader Support

Post by Bensdexta »

jambug123 wrote:it is bolted under the front axle support using 2 hi tensile bolts and covers the complete underside of this.
James, Thanks, that sounds robust. A photo would be interesting if you 're out & about with your camera.
All the best,

jambug123
True Blue

Post by jambug123 »

this should be it if it works i will get some more when i get her out of the shed at the weekend.

regards
james

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

jambug123 wrote: Image
Thanks James :wink: