Log Splitter-- HyCrack

This forum is about the tools you use to service your Fordson tractor AND about the implements you use when out in the field with Ol' Blue.
Bensdexta
True Blue

Log Splitter-- HyCrack

Post by Bensdexta »

Has anyone tried a Hy-Crack log splitter?
http://www.hycrack.co.uk/
Appears to be very simple with no hydraulics :wink:
Looks good in the flick, I wonder how long it lasts?
All the best,
Last edited by Bensdexta on Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Works well but B....Y dangerous in some woods like elm. I used to buy logs from a local farmer twenty years ago who used one and I watched it working.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Brian wrote:Works well but B....Y dangerous in some woods like elm.
Brian, Why is it dangerous :!: ?
Looks a simple bit of kit.

Ambidextarous
True Blue

Post by Ambidextarous »

I haven't seen one working, but a mate of mine has and he agrees with Brian," B....Y dangerous ".

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

I would suggest that wood with a straight cut and even grain isn't a problem BUT twisted, knotty wood makes it difficult.
I would be very wary working with a fast spinning unguarded item which by design would pull you in in a millisecond and make a mess!
Easy squeezy with controllable hydraulics is my choice.
Regards
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Re;Hy-Crack Log splitter

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

Bensdexta, A good splitting axe appears to be simple with no hydraulics too! :rofl: As for the Hy-Crack log splitter, it looks "expletive" dangerous.Best avoided.TSG.
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900

jambug123
True Blue

Post by jambug123 »

i dont see the point of log splitters to be honest a good AXE is all that is needed. on larger stuff a sledge and some wedges splits easily.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

There speaks a young man with strong arms! :D My father was still splitting my logs at 95 with a 14lb hammer and wedge! :x

Just think about the splitter for a minute. You have got upwards of 40 hp spinning a sharp pointed object with a worm on it to pull the wood onto it. You have to push the wood against the point to get it started. It "explodes" to pieces as the point goes in. You can get hit by flying wood, you can stumble onto the point, the wood can be snatched out of your hand.

Whereas with a hydraulic splitter, you are usually a little further away from the splitting wood and it is a lot more gentle.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

jambug123 wrote:i dont see the point of log splitters to be honest a good AXE is all that is needed. on larger stuff a sledge and some wedges splits easily.
OOOoooohhhh the carpule tunnel syndrome that no longer allows me to hold the hammer handle..... :(

I've seen the unicorn at work also. When knotty logs get stuck they are tough to remove.

I've split a lot of wood wth a hydraulic splitter and IMHO, it is the only way to go for an old man with bad wrists. :wink: Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Carpule tunnel syndrome can be fix Dandy Dave,

It's easyer than overhauling a Fordson engine.
:wink:
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

There's discussion on log-splitter safety especially the screw type here:
http://farmingforum.co.uk/forums/showth ... 387&page=2
It seems that the screw type are like marmite - love 'em or hate'em. Some folk think they may get banned by HSE, so maybe get one quick if you want one.
Happy New Year,
Last edited by Bensdexta on Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

SJW19
Not Quite Blue Yet

Hy crack log splitter

Post by SJW19 »

I have split tons of wood with one of these log splitters. I bought it new when it cost £250. It is important to avoid hitting metal with the tip,which although is replaceable,it is abit of ajob to unscrew and if I remember expensive.(just the tip,not the whole screw) The main thing to watch is to keep enough wood on the right side as you stand at the back, to stop the screw twisting the log and trapping it,although provided it has not trapped your hand, it will just free itself as the hole gets bigger. I welded an extension on this side to hold an even bigger log,and as it is mounted on the hydraulics,did enable to get quite heavy ones on by lowering to ground and then raising once on. Dangerous? maybe,in these days of H&S,but I was using it when men were men!!!!! One thing it did not like was rotten wood,nothing to grip and pull onto wedge,the harder the wood the better. Hope my experiences are of interest, Happy new year,Simon