Source of grease seals?

This forum is about the tools you use to service your Fordson tractor AND about the implements you use when out in the field with Ol' Blue.
Chris Ivin
True Blue

Source of grease seals?

Post by Chris Ivin »

I need to replace the axle grease seals on the Bamfords tipping trailer I am restoring. I have tried the local seal shop and they don't seem to have anything to do with grease seals.

Can anyone suggest a source?
Chris

Brailes, UK

"Dexta's rule the World!"

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

Try the following site

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop

Gerald

Chris Ivin
True Blue

Post by Chris Ivin »

Thanks Gerald,

I emailed them this morning, and they said "If the outside of the seal is tapered we wont be able to help, its a bespoke part as all standard seals are parallel outside". This is much the same as the local bearing/seal shop said.

The seal I'm after sits stationary on the axle shaft with the seal formed on a vertical face on the brake drum rather than being fitted in the brake drum itself and sealing on the shaft. Is this the normal form of grease seal in this situation?
Chris

Brailes, UK

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

That is a similar design seal to the '000nd series front wheel bearings.

A lot of trailer wheels and running gear was imported from companies in Italy by a large company here in Dereham. They are now out of existance but I have a feeling that someone set up selling parts. I will ask around later this week.

As a possible lead, try a phone call to Bunnings of Gresenhall, East Dereham. They make trailers, muck spreaders and the like and may have contacts.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Chris Ivin
True Blue

Post by Chris Ivin »

Thanks Brian,

I'll give Bunnings a try.
Chris

Brailes, UK