subsoiler

This forum is about the tools you use to service your Fordson tractor AND about the implements you use when out in the field with Ol' Blue.
jambug123
True Blue

subsoiler

Post by jambug123 »

Hi all,
I am thinking of getting a subsoiler for behind my dexta, since the pasture has a hardpan and needs busting so the fields can drain.

What type and size should i look for i have thought about a early fergy one.

what are your views on this any help would be great.

Regards
James

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: subsoiler

Post by Bensdexta »

jambug123 wrote:I am thinking of getting a subsoiler for behind my dexta, since the pasture has a hardpan and needs busting so the fields can drain.

What type and size should i look for i have thought about a early fergy one.

what are your views on this any help would be great.
I've been thinking along similar lines (when I get her finished...).

I don't know anything about vintage mole ploughs etc, but there is quite alot of interest these days in 'No (or minimum) Till' particularly in Aus & US but also in UK.

One approach for grassland is the 'keyline' or Yeomans plough (Aus) and the James plough in NZ. These are subsoilers for improving rainwater control and aerating grass roots. In UK I'm told that the Opico Swardlifter http://www.opico.co.uk/agmac/grassland- ... oiler.html is a good one, but there are others on the market. It has a a spring loaded cutting disc, followed by the subsoiling leg followed by a press roller to close the slot and level the surface. Only prob is Swardlifter has 3 legs and needs 100hp. With 32hp, a Dexta should be able to pull a single disc, leg & roller.

Any of our Antipodean friends been using the likes of Yeomans & James ploughs?? :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

re;James Enginnering Ltd Soil Aerator.

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

Hi jambug123 and Bensdexta, I have used some equipment from James Engineering Ltd in Gorrre. :run: And that the Opico Swardlifter looks a lot like the James Soil Aerator.Yes they do work, but they need some real horsepower to be used effectively.With the James soil aerator,it has 5 legs and probably needs about 125hp to pull it.(Maybe more if you use a green & yellow tractor.)Also best used in the spring when the ground is not so hard as it now in the autumn,but still able to get good traction. :wink: TSG.
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: re;James Enginnering Ltd Soil Aerator.

Post by Bensdexta »

The Swanndri Guy wrote:Hi jambug123 and Bensdexta, I have used some equipment from James Engineering Ltd in Gorrre. :run: And that the Opico Swardlifter looks a lot like the James Soil Aerator.Yes they do work, but they need some real horsepower to be used effectively.With the James soil aerator,it has 5 legs and probably needs about 125hp to pull it.(Maybe more if you use a green & yellow tractor.)Also best used in the spring when the ground is not so hard as it now in the autumn,but still able to get good traction. :wink: TSG.
Hi TSG,
Thanks for that. Do you reckon a Dexta would pull a single leg? That would be enough on a smallholding or hill farm.:wink:

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

I use a Browns subsoiler behind Nuffy on ploughed land not pasture. The single leg in about 18" deep is more than a load for her so I don't think the Dexta would do a good job.

You also have to consider the "heave" that you get with a sub-soiler. It is really going to make the pasture uneven.

I scratch my back with something that goes deeper than a Fergy sub- soiler! :run:
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

jambug123
True Blue

Post by jambug123 »

the fergy subsoiler works down to 18" deep (well thats what the brochure says) if the dexta struggles i can allways borrow one of the works tractors Case 5140,Case MX135, MF148 multipower,MF165 multipower, They also have a ransomes single leg subsoiler and a twin leg subsoiler.
i wouldnt use our nuffield 10/60 as the crank needs work and the no 1 conrod needs remanufacture.

I think i might go with the Case mx135 and the twin leg subsoiler which is a great combination and really nice to drive. Which i hope wont damage the land draines in the field as the drainage will be worse.

Regards
James

michael dyer
Not Quite Blue Yet

Subsoiler

Post by michael dyer »

Sub soiling at this time of the year is not recomended, the sub soil should be dry. You ned to be careful or else you may smear the soil and make your drainage problems worse. Most farmers sub soil after harvest .

jambug123
True Blue

Post by jambug123 »

i know not to do it when it is wet, as i was going to wait after the haymaking has been done so i know the ground is nice and dry.
i have plenty of time to find a suitable subsoiler for the tractor between now and august, the last time it was subsoiled was over 30 yrs ago and back then it was done with a doe and a single leg subsoiler. over the years of animals, rolling and harrowing the drainage is suffering as a result.

Regards
James
Last edited by jambug123 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

You are not hoping to compete with the Doe are you James? That would be a bit too optimistic.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

jambug123
True Blue

Post by jambug123 »

Brian,
no i dont plan on competing with the doe due to the huge clumps it brought up all those years ago.
i dont plan on going as deep due to the land drains and the mother stone on our ground.
i only plan on busting the pan which is down about 17 inches, and will give my dexta a good work out.

Regards
James

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

One of the best bits of kit for that job was the Howard Paraplow. The legs were angled across instead of being straight down.

It shattered the subsoil with little or no "heave" and was ideal for grass land.

Google "Howard Paraplow" there are lots of pictures.
Brian

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

James and Ben, I should have also said that when people use a aerator over here, they use a tractor with 4WD or with FWA. I also have a single leg water pipe plough, which can go down 500mm, but I only used that on my Ford 4000. So Ben, unless your Dexta has a Roadless conversion, it might be too optimistic for your Dexta to pull a single leg subsoiler. :roll: (Web site for James Engineering Ltd,is www.james-engineering.co.nz ) :D TSG.
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

The Howard Paraplow "legs" look very much alike something they made at my old job at Överums Bruk(Swedish plough manufacturer), can't remember for what implement they made them tho as it's been five years now... ;)
Essex Lily - Super Major -62 (No. 1618924)
Mr Fordson - Super Dexta -64(dad's)
"Si is est non infractus , effrego is quod animadverto si vos can redintegro is!"
<Ut simplex, validus quod constanter ut ferrum talea campester = Super Major>

jambug123
True Blue

Post by jambug123 »

picked up a single leg subsoiler today, and the dexta pulls it with ease as the person who had it before used it behind a 35, it is quite light and has a 2ft long leg i dont know what make it is as there is no makers plate on it, but i have been told i can still get points for it.

Regards
James

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

jambug123 wrote:picked up a single leg subsoiler today, and the dexta pulls it with ease as the person who had it before used it behind a 35, it is quite light and has a 2ft long leg i dont know what make it is as there is no makers plate on it, but i have been told i can still get points for it.
Can we see a pic, when you get a mo?
Many thanks,