Ford Ransomes mower.

This forum is about the tools you use to service your Fordson tractor AND about the implements you use when out in the field with Ol' Blue.
Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Ford Ransomes mower.

Post by Brian »

My hay field needed cutting so I went to the bramble patch and hitched Dotty on to my Ford-Ransomes finger-bar mower that was sleeping there!

These are a pretty rugged , simple piece of kit and, with a sharpen, oil and grease up and a good coating of belt dressing on the drive belt, I soon had her clicking away.

This is the main mower support spring which allows the whole mower to float over the ground.

A second spring underneath allows the cutter bar to float independently of the mower main frame. This is also linked to the lift arm on the tractor and through a system of links and cranks, tensions the spring to bring the end of the cutter bar clear of the crop when turning.

Nice simple belt drive.

I made the con rod out of Korean pine. I broke the original one when using the mower on Henrietta with the fast PTO on the earlier E1A's

Break back mechanism for when you hit that hidden rock or tree stump.

Dotty is the ideal tractor on here. I am beginning to wonder how I managed without her!
Last edited by Brian on Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Sounds like you recommend these. Any prob getting spares?
Are you making hay? :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

We had an IH one before this one but it was not as robust. It was lent to a friend (?), who wrecked it.

I have not needed any parts for it at all but only had it around seven years. :D Just drag it out of the brambles and sharpen it. I really do need a new knife, sections and wear plates, but have not used it much since we got the topper.

You can pick them up for around £50.00 in good condition.

Yes, we are going to try a bit of hay, not really a big enough patch but we have restored it and there are many wild and old grasses in the mix along with red clover and wild flowers. Its really just an area to "chill out" in. On Saturday night we took some friends down there and had a take away Chinese meal listening to the birds and walking around the field.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

where can i buy wear plates from? currently i have got home made angle iron wear plates. works nicely but not sure if they are a bit to hard for the job, dont want to wear the knife out.

many thanks.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

If its an M-F try your local dealer, there were a lot out there and I would bet spares are still available.
Brian

kiwiland dexta
True Blue

Post by kiwiland dexta »

Just love your toolbox on Dotty, Brian, has that look of a tractor at work! I just can't wait for Summer to get my mower out now!
you know it's a classic when people stop to watch.

shergar
True Blue

Post by shergar »

hello brian my uncle has a finger bar mower same as yours which he used with his super major , could i use it with my 4000 or maybe my ted 20, need to cut my meadow at home but the supers not road leagal, as not ever used one before would you use it at 540 pto and how fast would you go or would that depend on how heavy a crop of grass you have , any tips on sharpening and maintance , dottys a nice looking tractor i'll soon trade in my te in for one of those .
regards wayne
i love driving tractors me!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Wayne,

The mower will happily fit on the 4000 and it runs at around 540 rpm.

I tend to drive slowly as the knife in my mower has been repaired and I don't want to overload it. We had a fairly tall, thick crop of meadow hay and it was badly matted so that also affected my speed.

Keep the knife as sharp as possible, if its a plain one it will need light sharpening daily, or even twice a day if you have a lot to do.
Brian

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

are they standard link arms on your dexta? mine only have one hole for the lift.

many thanks

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

I got a pair of Agriline ones so I could use my ploughs on all the tractors I have. So I now have Cat 1 and Cat 2 balls. Very helpful on things like the mower too.
Brian

shergar
True Blue

Post by shergar »

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Glad you have got it working :buddies:

That is a lovely looking 4000 with an original Ford cab. There are not too many of them left out there. They were more expensive than the Lambourne or StaDri so got overlooked by most people.
Brian

shergar
True Blue

Post by shergar »

hello brian it's definitely not a stadri cab got caught out in a heavy shower the other week got soaked , it's like sitting in a colander , can you get new canvas roofs for these cabs also the rubber seals round the glass getting a bit perished are they available.
thanks wayne

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Brian,

What is the black bracket affair you have behind your seat?

How did your hay making go?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Think you mean the bracket that holds my DAR outlets Ben.

Hay making went great, some of the best hay I have made! (I have not made much :D ). I got it right at the hot time and when I turned it, with a fork, it was drying as I turned it.

We carted it straight into a shed so it never even got damp. The Jersey house cow, (pet), ran across the field every load to nick some off the trailer as we unloaded it, and the bullocks forsook their feed nuts for a couple of forkfuls.

It smelt great too.
Brian

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Brian wrote:Think you mean the bracket that holds my DAR outlets Ben.
Ah ha... The mysteries of the DAR. Maybe some day I see one in action.

Glad the hay went well. :wink: