Can we talk ploughs ??

This forum is about the tools you use to service your Fordson tractor AND about the implements you use when out in the field with Ol' Blue.
fergusont20
True Blue

Can we talk ploughs ??

Post by fergusont20 »

Im hopefully nearing completion of my six cylinder conversion of my 1956 Fordson Major

When complete, amongst other jobs i would like to start ploughing with it, now we have a couple of Fergie 2 furrow ploughs, but i would like to buy one specifically to use behind my Major. Now i am no plough or ploughing expert so i am after some help.

What are peoples thoughts as to what plough would best complement my 6 cylinder?

I won't be attending any ploughing matches with it so I'm not tied to any particular type of class, I have people who will be paying me to do some ploughing for them so I need to be quite efficient, I'm thinking about a reversible plough, I presume I could modify the hydraulics on the tractor to operate a hydraulic plough, would I get one with a depth wheel though??

What about traction, other than new back tyres, what about front and rearend weight??

Is there anyone on here who has done a lot of ploughing with a major who can give me some pointers??

I'm looking forward to talking more about this subject

Regards Mark

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Hi Mark,

I have heard, that a 3 furrow plough (round) would be no problem for a Super..I don't know about a Major because of the different lift.
Wheel wheights seems to be needed.

I have been told that the lift will do a 3 furrow reversible plough, but some front weights would be nice, I guess.

For the hydraulics, you will need to put a Ford 3000 - 4000 double hydraulics block on it. I have one on mine: it fits right on.
On the Major forum, there's a topic about these sort of hydraulics.

Keep us updated with your plans.
Best regards,
Pascal

Fordson's don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory.

fergusont20
True Blue

Post by fergusont20 »

Hi Pascal

Thankyou for the info, do you know what the post was called regarding the ford 3000/4000 hydraulics? as i would like to read it, i have searched and cant find it.

Thanks Mark

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Hi Mark,

This is the one: http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... hydraulics

The name of the topic is: Super Major - DAR fitment.

Good luck!
Best regards,
Pascal

Fordson's don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory.

stark1
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by stark1 »

Is it reversible ploughs you are intrested in? The engine wich I believe is one off the Dorset models so it will around 100hp. So in that case you could on soft soil pull 5x14" with it but on heavy clay you have to go down to 4x14". The problem is the lifting capacity on the Major so I dont know but a light 4x14 nonreversable plough would fit. Semimounted could be a nice one to. Ransomes I belive made some quite light plows and many without autoreset wich makes them heavier.
There is only one heaven and its all blue!