how does this work?

This forum is about the tools you use to service your Fordson tractor AND about the implements you use when out in the field with Ol' Blue.
woodseaves
True Blue

how does this work?

Post by woodseaves »

E Bay Item Number 170532405202

This is a Belt Pulley, has anyone got a picture of one fitted to a Dexta or able to give a detailed description of fitting and operation?

Regards

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Fits on the PTO and bolts up using the housing bolts. There is a large article on here about fitting a sawbench which includes details of the pulley,
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

woodseaves
True Blue

Post by woodseaves »

Thanks Brian.

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Can I add my tuppence worth.
I have recently purchased a belt pulley to use with my Dexta with a Ferguson Cordwood saw.
It all went well and I was very pleased with the first day out in public cutting up round wood no problem.
BUT!
When you decide to raise the sawbench on the hydraulics WATCH the left hand lift arm as it can foul on the inside of the pulley and take a piece out. That what has happened to the one on ebay.
Having said that it didn't affect subsequent operation on mine when I did it!
I went to the Great Dorset Steam Fair yesterday - wonderfull day with lots to see including dozens of Porsche tractors. Observed a guy using a cordwood saw and felt I had to tell his mate that the way he was using it was dangerous as he was holding the ends of the wood either side of the saw blade and as the piece was being cut off and falling away he only had hold of the remaing wood with one hand. The idea is to hold the wood in the cradle with both hands and rock the cradle into the saw blade, letting the cut wood fall away while still holding onto the remaining wood with both hand . A lot safer and you are off to one side of the blade should anything go wrong.
Regards
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

See this section Jul 12th Chris's contribution and mine in the Dexta section on Jul 11th.
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK

Bensdexta
True Blue

Saw & Pulley

Post by Bensdexta »

Brian wrote:Fits on the PTO and bolts up using the housing bolts. There is a large article on here about fitting a sawbench which includes details of the pulley,
Does anyone know where this article is ? :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Hi Ben
Try searching for 'cordwood' or 'pulley' which might help.
Basically an MF belt pulley will fit but not a fergy one ( wrong PTO spline size) and it means removing the bolts around the PTO and sliding the pulley over.
On the fergy cordwood saw the top link is fitted to a bracket on the top of the pulley so that as you lower the saw the belt tensions up. I have a rubber belt and it works OK.
I can take some phot's if you want to show the setup (and my chipped pulley).
Regards
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Jerry Coles wrote:Try searching for 'cordwood' or 'pulley' which might help.
Basically an MF belt pulley will fit but not a fergy one ( wrong PTO spline size) and it means removing the bolts around the PTO and sliding the pulley over.
On the fergy cordwood saw the top link is fitted to a bracket on the top of the pulley so that as you lower the saw the belt tensions up. I have a rubber belt and it works OK.
I can take some phot's if you want to show the setup (and my chipped pulley).
Hi, Yes I've searched as you say and found valuable posts inc some of yours, but not the 'article' Brian refers to.
Is your saw the earlier A-LO- A19 with non-adjustable top link? The later A-LO-A20 top link does adjust I believe. If I understand correctly with the earlier saw, one adjusts the belt tension but moving the lower link arms up or down on the tractor hydraulics - does this work OK or it is a bit fiddly?

Also can the tractor be driven around with the saw attached, or must it be hooked up in situ?

What do you reckon a good Fergy saw is worth?
All the best, :wink:

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Hi Ben
As luck would have it I have been using my Cordwood saw today so I've uploaded some pics for you and anyone else who might like to browse.
The URL is: http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn28 ... 0Pictures/

Hope this is the info you wanted.
Regards
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

is that a seat cover for an origianl seat or a complete seat. where did you get it?

many thanks

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Hi
It came with the tractor when I bought it, along with an ether only starting engine, odd wheel rims and a badly worn front axle trunnion - to name some of the things.
The electrics/lights I added myself.

Regards
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Jerry Coles wrote:As luck would have it I have been using my Cordwood saw today so I've uploaded some pics for you and anyone else who might like to browse.
The URL is: http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn28 ... 0Pictures/
Hi Jerry, You have the later saw too A-LO-A20 with rounded guard & adjustable tensioner..

Could the blade not be guarded over more of its circumference? Only a small quadrant is needed to cut the logs, or would there be a risk of logs jamming if the guard was bigger?
Nice pics Thanks, :wink:

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Hi Ben
I was thinking the same thing, also logs fall down and jam between the fixed and rocking legs. Maybe a guard here to prevent logs jamming would be useful too. As this was produced in the 50's I guess H&S wasn't an issue so for modern requirements I would be thinking of better saw guarding and maybe a deflector/guard to stop any jamming. The belt is awfully exposed too, I guess a mesh cover over the whole shaft wouldn't be a bad idea either.
I mentioned it before that I tied a piece of cord around the stop cable knob and threaded it towards the back so I could kill the engine from the back before things got bad. Thats the piece of cord hanging over the left wing and down by the handbrake. You may have noticed that the RH check chain is loose, I did that when reading the handbook.
This is a great website for pooling ideas and sharing knowledge, skills and experience.
Regards
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

It seems the belt tension can be adjusted on the earlier saw, A-LO-A19. This is done using the bolts at the front of the main frame side rails, which slide the hydraulic link arm mounts forward relative to the saw's pulley.

However does anyone know if the tractor can be moved with the ealier saw attached? This is possible with the later saw, like Jerry's.

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Just by coincidence in T&M latest (Nov) on P38 is a picture of a 19 model and I would guess that it doesn't lift on the arms unless it folds but it would have to go up some way to clear ground. I cannot see a top link either.
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Jerry Coles wrote:Just by coincidence in T&M latest (Nov) on P38 is a picture of a 19 model and I would guess that it doesn't lift on the arms unless it folds but it would have to go up some way to clear ground. I cannot see a top link either.
Jerry
Hi,
There is a top link as for the model 20, except it doesn't adjust. Adjustment of belt tension is via the side rails. A chap who has one assures me the model 19 does fold for transport on the back of the tractor. I'd like to see how it does it :wink: