Old digger

This forum is about the tools you use to service your Fordson tractor AND about the implements you use when out in the field with Ol' Blue.
Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

Dandy Dave wrote:Cool. If you boom up as you are dumping the load it will keep the bucket from hitting the ground. As you become more perficiant, you will find that this will be neccesary as the dirt pile gets higher. Also, try to not drop the bucket so hard. The old time opperators will frown on that. Run it smooth, and they will smile. It takes some time and practice, but you will get good at it. Running a cable machine is an art form. The more you do, the better you get. Have fun. :D Dandy Dave!
I think snow is perfect to practise on so I don´t get my garden full of holes. :wink:

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Grani wrote:
Dandy Dave wrote:Cool. If you boom up as you are dumping the load it will keep the bucket from hitting the ground. As you become more perficiant, you will find that this will be neccesary as the dirt pile gets higher. Also, try to not drop the bucket so hard. The old time opperators will frown on that. Run it smooth, and they will smile. It takes some time and practice, but you will get good at it. Running a cable machine is an art form. The more you do, the better you get. Have fun. :D Dandy Dave!
I think snow is perfect to practise on so I don´t get my garden full of holes. :wink:
Watch that it is the right consistacy or it will stick in your bucket! :shock: ... :D... :lol: Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Grani
True Blue

Re: Old digger

Post by Grani »

I did some digging the last weekend. :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiVl2VvIEHE

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Looks great, Grani! You're quite handy with your crane! :clap:
It doesn't takes much horsepower from your tractor, so to hear?
Best regards,
Pascal

Fordson's don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Looks like you have been practicing. :clap: One little tip, when you dump the load, try to lift the bucket just over the pile so that you are not dragging the bucket bottom and teeth in the pile. The old timers would tell you that you are wearing the bucket and teeth out faster than you should doing that. Crochety Old Grouches that thay are. :wink: Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

Pascal wrote:Looks great, Grani! You're quite handy with your crane! :clap:
It doesn't takes much horsepower from your tractor, so to hear?
I have read somewhere that it takes only 15hp, so I have 93 left. :wink:
Dandy Dave wrote:Looks like you have been practicing. :clap: One little tip, when you dump the load, try to lift the bucket just over the pile so that you are not dragging the bucket bottom and teeth in the pile. The old timers would tell you that you are wearing the bucket and teeth out faster than you should doing that. Crochety Old Grouches that thay are. :wink: Dandy Dave!
I know, but it is not that easy with nearly no turn brake and two winch drums trying their best to twist it sideways when they rotates in different directions. Dragging the bucket holds it better in place sideways. The digger has also to be perfectly in level to have any side way control.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Grani wrote:I know, but it is not that easy with nearly no turn brake and two winch drums trying their best to twist it sideways when they rotates in different directions. Dragging the bucket holds it better in place sideways. The digger has also to be perfectly in level to have any side way control.
Yes, The full swing machines are better balanced, but you still sometimes need to hold/slip the clutch a little to keep it in place . It is much more prominent on an old half swing machine as they are not counter balanced like a full swing. Keep practicing, and after a time it will become second nature. In a perfect world everything would be level and flat. As for me, growing up, and living in a town called, Hillsdale, I have not experianced that perfect world part yet. Seem's I'm always working on a side hill. :cry: ... :wink:. Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major