Reciprocating Hedge Trimmer

This forum is about the tools you use to service your Fordson tractor AND about the implements you use when out in the field with Ol' Blue.
redxmajor
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Reciprocating Hedge Trimmer

Post by redxmajor »

That hedgetrimmer in your photo is a McConnel Power Arm Universal with the optional reach over extension...and a very complete one too!! It's extremely difficult to find one with all the safety covers and the valve chest intact. They are adjusted by means of 2 rams. The big black ram with pulley on top raises the whole arm while the smaller red ram near the cutterbar adjusts the angle of the cutterbar..through almost 360 degrees. The knife is driven off the pto by 2 belts along the length of the arm. And yes the angled part of the arm is fixed, leaving the cutterbar hanging out over the road a bit, even with the bar vertical. I have 2 of these, almost complete just awaiting some spare funds for restoring. The operators manual does recommend them for use on Dextas with no extra ballast needed. I hope this helps. And if you decide not to buy one of these types, maybe you would be so kind as to disclose where you saw the one in your photo...ha ha! Thanks. Pat.

Chug-A-Lug
True Blue

Post by Chug-A-Lug »

Well, nearly a year later I've found one at the right price that I think might suit our Super Dexta. I'll be making a 300 mile round trip on the 27th to view/collect.

Can anyone tell me anything about it from the photo? All I've ascertained is that it has hydraulic raise/lower and manual adjustment of the cutter angle. And that it comes with spare knives...

Any identification and/or original operators manuals would be much appreciated.

Sorry I didn't get back to redxmajor but by the time a reply came from my enquiry several had passed by the hands of that particular dealer and he had none left in stock...

Look out hedges!
New Performance Super Dexta - Mostly 1964...

Chug-A-Lug
True Blue

Post by Chug-A-Lug »

Just found these videos... Similar?

http://youtu.be/TOmetD18cZI

http://youtu.be/Brs9yP9RoNM

Chug-A-Lug
True Blue

Post by Chug-A-Lug »

So, i'm now the pround owner of a McConnel Power Arm Universal!

I started assembling it when I got home this afternoon and the hydraulic hose burst! Got showered in oil! I'll get that sorted soon.

There's been a modification the the top link area which I need to sort out as it doesn't fit too easy as it is.

Otherwise it all seems ok.

Does anyone know what colour it should be? Would be good to smarten it up a bit...

Thanks all.

redxmajor
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by redxmajor »

Hiya Chug.
Congratulations on finally getting your hands on the Power Arm. I spotted your video on Youtube and have only copped your post here now. Your Power Arm is running and looking really well. I know it's too late now but the proper colour is a kind of turquoise green with the safety covers painted black and the lift ram black also. You may still find the original colour in good unfaded condition on the upper end of the arm, on the part of the tube that slides down into the lower arm....if that makes sense! It could also be under one of the knife keepers on the cutterbar if you unbolt one of them. I'm hoping to get working on restoring my own one over the coming winter, so maybe we could keep in touch. Thanks. Pat.

Chug-A-Lug
True Blue

Post by Chug-A-Lug »

Cheers Red,

Like you say, a little late regarding the colour but we like the red/yellow. It looks menacing and is good for visibility!

Finished painting etc a few days ago and as you say, it's all running well. I've had to replace the aligator strips on the belt and the ram is leaking a little more than I like, but otherwise trouble free! Just recieved a pair of stabiliser bars which will help align the puilley.

Once I'm happy with the set up I'm going to try to work out a way of removing it from the tractor without dissassembling it. I'm thinking of putting the cutter in a vertical position and reversing against a wall, lowering to the ground and strapping the top of the arm to the wall and supporting the 3pt area before disconnecting... We'll see!

Probably a few more videos and photos to follow on the other thread soon!

redxmajor
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by redxmajor »

Hiya Chug.

Removing the trimmer like you describe will work fine. There is an actual stand for the trimmers but again is hard to come by with a lot of them. I was lucky enough to get one with the one I bought. It is basically a one piece stand with two legs coming up from two flat feet. It is positioned under the main 6 inch box section part of the frame ( where the pto shaft passes through) and secured there with two flat type U brackets. I have an old sales brochure with pictures of the trimmer on the stand. If I can figure out how to scan and post the pictures on here, I will. Looking forward to more of your videos too.
Pat.

Chug-A-Lug
True Blue

Post by Chug-A-Lug »

Thanks Pat, that will be really handy!

redxmajor
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by redxmajor »

Hiya Chug.

I've come across a much clearer set of photos than the one in my old brochure. If you go to www.donedeal.ie and search for "mcconnel fingerbar hedgetrimmer", there's a fella there with one for sale. It has really good photos of the parking stand and also the proper safety guards. And he has it painted yellow too!!

Pat.

Chug-A-Lug
True Blue

Post by Chug-A-Lug »

That's perfect Pat, well spotted! Maybe if I have a bit of spare cash and time I'll give that a go.

We parked ours up a week or so ago in the way I described above and it seemed fine... Untill my brother managed to clout it when moving some other bits about the yard and it's toppled off its perch :evil: It's now leading to the side a bit and hanging on the strap which I put around the top. Seems I'll have to fight to get it back on the tractor if I don't want to take it appart again!

Managed to snap the sheer bolt in operation a little while ago too. Managed to tweek a big branch without noticing untill I heard an almighty BANG and turned to see the implement folded in half :? At least we know it works :)

I'm sure I'll have plenty more stories to tell as time goes by.

Cheers for now, Sam