Baler reccomendations

This forum is about the tools you use to service your Fordson tractor AND about the implements you use when out in the field with Ol' Blue.
Jerry Coles
True Blue

Baler reccomendations

Post by Jerry Coles »

Hi all
There must be lots of different types of Baler out there.
Can anybody reccomend a reliable model (or Not!), I'm thinking of knotter adjustments, power consumption etc for my Dexta please.
I've seen some on ebay and at auction and they seem to go for £500 - 600 but there must be good ones and bad ones.
Not fussed as to manufacurer (if it's Red I have some spare Dexta Blue paint)
Your knowledge would be most appreciated.
cheers
Jerry
Bath
UK
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Re: Baler reccomendations

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

Jerry,among all the machinery over the farm here, in one of the sheds is a Mc Cormack/International B47 baler, which if set up correctly would be spot on for a Super Dexta :mrgreen: I know a Super Dexta will run the B47 as we used to run the IH 440 alltwine behind it, as the B47 is smaller and runs slower.Currently its another thing added to my "To do list" :eyes: TSG.
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

We had a Model 336 John Deere square bailer on the farm with a bale kicker. My dad often boasted that we put a half a million bales though that unit and rarely missed a knot.

Duck... Cuz Here comes the rocks on this site. :shock: Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

fenhayman
True Blue

Post by fenhayman »

Jerry, I don't know how much baling you intend to do or what experience you have of balers. I have been using small balers for the past 50 years and lately have had an International 440 baler to bale about 1000 bales per year.(Baler cost me £400 and I sold it for the same 5 years later)
1. In my opinion a baler is one of the most dangerous implements in use on a farm, particularly if the operator is inexperienced.
2. A baler needs sufficient use to keep the moving parts and particulaly the knotters in working order. Old balers always seem to bale better after the first 500 bales each season - thats when I was puting mine back in the barn to wait for the second cut.
3. Knotters are difficult to set up, you need an instruction book nand ideally someone who knows about them (Rare as hen's teeth)
3. I used a Super Major. Unless your fields are flat I think it would all be too much for a dexta.
4. Spares are the problem for old balers,invariably the same parts wear out on them all so breakers aren't much help.
My advice - get somone else to bale your hay and invest your money in a decent mower and tedder.
If you have to wait for a contractor row up the hay to stop it getting wet, or drying out too much, and if your'e energetic make it into little heaps (cocks), will keep for weeks like that!

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

fenhayman wrote:1. In my opinion a baler is one of the most dangerous implements in use on a farm, particularly if the operator is inexperienced.
The most dangerous piece of machinery on our farm was the Insilage Blower, then the Corn Chopper, (Ours ran 1000 PTO Speed), then I would say the haybine because you could not always see what was hidden in the tall grass. I guess the square baler would be next and then pretty much anything with a PTO.

Of course with that said, A lawn mower is a danger to someone that does not treat it with respect. If you bale a few fields, you will catch on fairly quickly. I enjoyed balling with our John Deere 336, We pulled it with a John Deere 4030, or 4230 tractor. I also ran a New Holland Baler for a friend a bunch of years ago pulled by a Ford 2000. The problem with the NH was the the kicker was a series of rollers, and sometimes there would not be enough hay at the end of the field to push the bale all the way though. The rollers would burn though the string and we would have a broken bale. The most dangerest part of baleing is feeding broken bales in from the ground. You should always do that with a pitch fork, and stay away from moving parts. A operator excercising caution, and common sense, will be a safe opereator. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

fenhayman
True Blue

Post by fenhayman »

I think it's the momentum caused by the movement of the ram that makes small balers so dangerous. You can't stop a baler like you can a combine header.

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

We have been running a new holland 268 super hayliner for the last few yrs, usually up to 3000bales/yr, it has one weakness which is the thin tin connecting lever that drives the feeder tines back and forth, in a heavy crop this tended to buckle and snap before the operator could dip the clutch and let the thick bit through. Otherwise its been great, we had a guy give the knotters the once over, learnt a few tricks which arent in the book. After youve operated one for a couple of seasons you'll soon know it inside out! Good maintenance is essential, dont wait for it to break, inspect for worn bearings, keep chains adjusted, sharpen knives, replace pickuptines, adjust string tensioner etc all leads to better productivity. Do not over-grease knotters, it gets onto the string and the knots pull undone!
The 268 It is not really upto the job behind the large combines of today on straw, needs a wider pickup reel. Luckily most crops are bred for short straw these days. As it has been so reliable we have been reluctant to change but I suspect we will move on to a "newer" new holland at some point in the near future. No probs on hay though.
Trouble with balers, apart from the danger aspect is that a low budget baler is likely to have paid for itseld many times over, will likely be pretty "tired" and is more than likely to let you down just when you need it (not likely to break in the 11months of the year its parked up!). You dont normally get much of a "window" of opportunity weather wise and it can pay to have a back-up baler handy or know someone who can come and finish the job. Keep plenty of shear bolts in the tool box, and the correct spanner. Dont be tempted to use any old bolt, you will cause all sorts of damage. Make sure the needle protection mechanism isnt seized up, if the timing gets out (ie chain broke/jumps) a littler lever pops out on ours to stop the plunger ram from destroying the needles when they protrude into the chamber for knot tying. As this doesnt happen (hopefully ever!) the linkage is prone to seizing up!
We can get 99% of spares for our 268 from local new holland agent, the machine was made in early 70's at a guess. I would avoid obscure makes like bamfords as you wont find many dealerships these days!
Another thing to think about is picking the things up, after a day on the tractor seat its amazing how many are littered around the field (we usually turn out 100/hr, any more tends to overstress the baler), a flat 8 sledge is easier bit more weight to pull around. We use a cooks sledge, can be a problem on stubble fields where cut strings and even stubble fires (from sparks generated by the rear skids!)
Basically it seems like good fun but involves a lot of hard work, but to me baling is the most satisfying job, and when it is going "just right" its very enjoyable.
As already mentioned the safety factors are a big consideration, obviously never put hands/body parts in or near a baler with it running, turn off PTO and tractor engine. If unblocking baler be aware that the plunger arm could be just past top dead centre and push the plunger (ram) on down the chamber taking part of you with it. As already mentioned feeding loose stuff in when stationary is very dangerous, I know 1 person who is missing a foot after a shoe lace caught on a pick-up tine, he is lucky most people dont live to tell the tale. I never wear boots with laces, and as mentioned use a pitch fork to feed in the loose material. Look out for loose strings on the ground, another way to get pulled in accidentally.
I cant comment on whether your dexta will be powerfull enough but if you want any other info I will try to help. I would certainly reccommend a new holland 268 on hay.
Regards, Ed.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Baler recommendations

Post by Bensdexta »

Roadless63 wrote:I cant comment on whether your dexta will be powerfull enough but if you want any other info I will try to help. I would certainly reccommend a new holland 268 on hay.
Thanks All, for the helpful comments.

I have a NH Super Hayliner 268 brochure from 1966 showing it behind a Dexta (can't tell whether it's a standard or Super, but the wings are blue). Also earlier Super Hayliner 68 is shown pulled by a Dexta. And also the NH 845 round baler.

BTW Can anyone explain the Hayliner numbering system 68, 268, 276, etc?
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

EddieJ
True Blue

Post by EddieJ »

We use a Massey Ferguson 20-8 baler behind our Super Dexta. The land is by no means flat and it had no trouble running the machine. My Dad says the notters were pretty reliable although she's not run in 20 odd years its one of the old implements thats on the list for rejuvinating.

Some old photos that have been uploaded to our website https://www.fordsonsuperdexta.co.uk/GeneralPhotos:

Not ours but a quick video off youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfYvXLAOqqo
-------------------------------------------------------
1962 Fordson Super Dexta (since 1970 ish)
Our workhorse currently undergoing overhaul
Follow us at www.fordsonsuperdexta.co.uk
-------------------------------------------------------