Petit Trailer

This forum is about the tools you use to service your Fordson tractor AND about the implements you use when out in the field with Ol' Blue.
Gavin
True Blue

Petit Trailer

Post by Gavin »

I'm looking for some information regarding my Petit 3 ton trailer. It is due for a much needed overhaul as the floor had been patched numerous times and the wooden sides are now showing signs of deterioration. I am wondering what colour these were originally supplied in as mine currently is painted in John Deere colours but has signs of blue and red paint underneath. Looking at the fixings on the trailer it appears that hay racks were available for it. Does anyone have any pictures of what it should look like with these fitted? Was there a floor extension available?
Last edited by Gavin on Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fordson Super Dexta, Ford 4610, and Ford 3000

marcusgs
True Blue

Re: Petit Trailer

Post by marcusgs »

Hi, Petit trailers were made about 5 miles away from me, however I am a youngster and they stopped making them soon after I was born. I can tell you however that they were most definitely a red colour similar to MF red.
Mark

Gavin
True Blue

Post by Gavin »

That is good news for me. I have seen them painted blue with white wheels obviously to match a ford tractor and I did wonder if they were branded to suit various tractors. I had decided that bright red with white wheels would look good so that is probably the way it will go. I haven't used it for about 2 years so the timber is looking very sorry for itself now as I suspect that most is original.

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

I have 2 hay ladders and a floor extension, I think two corner posts and a tailgate all from a 3ton tipping trailer and I need to try and recall the make, I believe it could well have been a petit. I will try and get some pictures if I find time. Certainly the paint on the corner posts is a pale (could be faded) blue.

Gavin
True Blue

Post by Gavin »

That would be great if you can. I want to try and keep the trailer as original as possible yet also keep it useable for today's requirements such as round bales. This may mean making 2 sets of hay racks - one original spec and one for round bales.

River
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by River »

They made trailers in Ford Ransomes colours, for FR, I have a brochure somewhere.

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

Got some pictures, will upload them when I get a chance. Bear with me!

Gavin
True Blue

Post by Gavin »

Fab. No rush I think yesterdays events with my mower have pushed the trailer down the list again.
The mower decided yesterday that it didn't like having a flat bed and that a curved one would give a more unique finish. Basically rust has weakened the bed causing it to bend and take the tension off the drive belts. Some serious strengthening is going to take place this week as I have a few acres that is well overdue for topping already.

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

OK, here are pictures (hopefully), this is all I have of the trailer, still cant be 100% of the make but Petit comes to mind. Light blue tailboard could be a clue.

Here is one of the hay ladders

And the other is still attached to the bed extension

Gavin
True Blue

Post by Gavin »

Thanks,
My initial reaction is that these are not Petit but can't be 100% sure as they may have had different designs anyway. Will try and get some pictures of the trailer and the fixings when I go down the fields next as the trailer is not at home at the moment.

fenhayman
True Blue

Post by fenhayman »

II think it's a Whitlock trailer manufactured by Whitlocks of Gt Yeldham, Essex, England. Not sure, but having hand forked tons of hay bales, potatoes and sugar beet into or onto them, some pics. seem to ring a bell!