Rotovators

This forum is about the tools you use to service your Fordson tractor AND about the implements you use when out in the field with Ol' Blue.
Huzey
True Blue

Rotovators

Post by Huzey »

Hi all.
Just wondered what rotovators, if any, you use behind your fordson majors. I have a 1955 E1A that I am thinking about getting a rotovator for. I was looking at the Japanese compact types but have heard parts are difficult to obtain, so am keeping an eye out for a small Howard.
Any thoughts/advice greatfully received.
Regards Huzey :D

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

I use a Howard E60 Selectatith behind both Nuffy and Henrietta. Henrietta is a bit underpowered but by choosing the right gear on the rotovator she can manage OK.

Some of the early versions had a gear selector on the Rotovator which is very handy if you do not have a live PTO.

Parts are still readily available for the Howards.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Huzey
True Blue

Post by Huzey »

Thanks Brian
I had a Howard 6 footer a few years ago behind an old international (hope that isn't swearing!! :shock: ) that I had, but I think that would be a bit too big, besides which, I haven't got it any more.
Was looking at the chinese/japanese 4 footers, but the ones I have seen can't be offset, which would be ok for doing beds, but not for initial cultivation after ploughing.
Huzey.

Tmac
True Blue

Howard tiller 6 ft

Post by Tmac »

6 ft no problem for Major. Howards, if you get a used one DONT get the Howard CAD model NO PARTS for that one. At least not the ones you need! I have one. Good tiller though. Now I am sure that the North West tiller isnt available anywhere but in the USA at least used, that is the HEAVIEST tiller made anywhere. NW tillers make the Howard, which is a great tiller, look like a tin can!

Tiller power pull depends on a lot of things, like soil condition, moisture content, type of soil and depth of cut.

The Italian tillers are a very good machine for the money. Some of the major brands of the Asians are good, but the chi/com crap is just that!

I would make sure that what ever you buy will cover both rear wheels. 4ft just take to much time cause of being narrow.

See A NW tiller here
http://www.nwtiller.com/index.php?actio ... 13&itu2=22

Huzey
True Blue

Post by Huzey »

Thanks Tmac.
That northwest tiller looks a good bit of kit. The belt drive to the rotor looks interesting. All the ones I have had experience of are shaft/chain driven.
Huzey