McConnel Power Arm Universal

This forum is about the tools you use to service your Fordson tractor AND about the implements you use when out in the field with Ol' Blue.
Chug-A-Lug
True Blue

McConnel Power Arm Universal

Post by Chug-A-Lug »

Finally tracked one down!

We've had it a couple of weeks now. The first evening we got home with it I was keen to set it up and give it a go, but as soon as I lifted the main arm the hydraulic line burst! Being showered in warm oil is an experience not to be missed!!!

Anyway, while waiting for the replacement pipe to be made up and delivered, I decided to invest in some paint. We've replaced a few other bits like shear bolts and the odd 'R' clip here and there, but otherwise the 50 year old peice of history is fairly complete and original with manufactureres plates on the base unit and the manual angling 'Armhead 1M'. Somebody had modified the top link section to fit a much larger tractor at some point, so I've had to fabricate a new peice. We're most of the way through painting it up and this weekend we put it back together to check everything worked before finishing the 'restoration'.

Anyway, we got a bit carried away and cut a few hedges/jungles while we were at it. Here's a short video...

http://youtu.be/8gspvB-B_N8

It slices through 2 inch limbs with ease, and 3 inches with a little care. With a little more care setting it up it may do even better!

Anyway, hope this puts a smile on peoples faces like it does mine. I'll update when we've finished painting it up, and maybe try a video of a more shapely hedge to show off its capabilities!
New Performance Super Dexta - Mostly 1964...

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: McConnel Power Arm Universal

Post by Bensdexta »

Looks useful! :wink:
Where did you get it?
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Chug-A-Lug
True Blue

Post by Chug-A-Lug »

Found on an obscure trader/dealer website. The guy runs a farm but also deals in old machinery etc. It was down near Tiverton and an absolute bargain I think!

Chug-A-Lug
True Blue

Post by Chug-A-Lug »

Another video, still practicing!

Please forgive the music... :?

http://youtu.be/9grz2cEVFjc