Fordson-Ransomes EP plough

This forum is about the tools you use to service your Fordson tractor AND about the implements you use when out in the field with Ol' Blue.
henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Re: Fordson-Ransomes EP plough

Post by henk »

Found out why my opening furrow was not working well.
My plough is set on 12 inches and the shares are 10 inches. I decided to make the shares 12 inch and renew the cutting edge, because the shares where smaller on the end than at the beginning at the point. I cut the welded cutting edge away on a milling machine and made two strips and welded them on the shares. I machined two pieces to lengthen the shares and welded them on. During the machining, I found out the shares are made of cast iron instead of cast steel as I always had thought. It puzzles me why they used cast iron for a plough share. Cast iron is easy to brake when ploughing in grounds with some stones. As far as I can see the share points are cast steel. It seems logic to me to use cast steel.
Only the DMD8 shares are cast iron. The 12 inch model DMD5WPR was in pressed steel. And the DMD7WPR was a 10 inch pressed steel version.
It was not easy to weld it all together, but with the advice of two excellent welders, I managed. They turned out nice, Pity I could not test them last Saturday. The field was just getting drilled.
I wonder if the DMD5WPR shares are still available.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I