Small Backhoe

This forum is about the tools you use to service your Fordson tractor AND about the implements you use when out in the field with Ol' Blue.
jeveriss
Not Quite Blue Yet

Small Backhoe

Post by jeveriss »

I'm playing with the idea of getting a small backhoe for my dexta. Has anyone had any experience with the lightweight backhoes sold for smallholder tractors like this?

Besides other worries such as there strength/usability and possible damage to the tractor, wouldn't you need a double acting 3 point hitch (if such a thing exists) to give the thing stability or are there other ways to stop the whole thing lifting. I'm sure I've seen older tractors advertised with these things on.
Cheers for any advice.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Small Backhoe

Post by Bensdexta »

jeveriss wrote:I'm playing with the idea of getting a small backhoe for my dexta. Has anyone had any experience with the lightweight backhoes sold for smallholder tractors ?

Besides other worries such as there strength/usability and possible damage to the tractor, wouldn't you need a double acting 3 point hitch (if such a thing exists) to give the thing stability or are there other ways to stop the whole thing lifting. I'm sure I've seen older tractors advertised with these things on.
Cheers for any advice.
Some info here: http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... f=6&t=3183
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

hi i have been toying with the same idea, that looks like a tidy bit of kit, most
of the older ones look very heavy, from what i have been able to find out the frame
which is on that one is a must to protect the top link area as this can fracture
with use, most of the older ones are made to stay on the tractor
were as that one seems as if it could be removed abling the tractor to be used
for other things , this would be one of my main worrys, that the tractor would end up just been used
as a one tractor implement, Gerry

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

When I was young, at the farm I use to work they had something like this. Only a bit heavier. The Fiat 450 was just able to lift it without getting the front wheel of the ground. Sometimes you needed to steer with the brakes.
The farmer loaded manure and sugar beet leaves fresh and from the pit. It performed very well.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

hi henk was it easy to disconnect it from tractor or did it stay on
tractor permently , also was the hoe connect to the frame
just or just hooked on to the lift arms , if you get my meaning.
Gerry

henk

Post by henk »

Gerry,

it was on the 3 point lift as any other implement and had two side legs to put on the ground.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

jerviss did you get the backhoe , if so i would be intersted how it worked out for you
did it go stright on which is probley a silly question as these things usually dont :(
Gerry