Too big for a Dexta?

This forum is about the tools you use to service your Fordson tractor AND about the implements you use when out in the field with Ol' Blue.
Chug-A-Lug
True Blue

Too big for a Dexta?

Post by Chug-A-Lug »

Hi Gang,

I'm on the lookout for something like this for the back of our Dexta. Would this unit be too heavy for the Dexta? I was initially looking for a rear loader (don't want a loader on the front) but a machine likle this would be more versatile and still achieve the same result.

I really like the McConnel PAU especially as we already have the hedge cutter. It seems ideally suited to the Dexta, but I would be limited by the inability to swing left to right.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Sam
New Performance Super Dexta - Mostly 1964...

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Too big for a Dexta?

Post by Bensdexta »

http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... f=6&t=3183

BTW what's wrong with a front loader - they're pretty useful! :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Do not think I would use either of those on a Dexta, the front would be off the ground most of the time. You really need something like a Major at least for those.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Gavin
True Blue

Post by Gavin »

I used to have an identical machine to the first one on my Super Dexta and had no problems at all although I did have a front loader fitter too so that would obviously act as a counterbalance weight. The tractor ran it with no problems at all and I wish I still had it but my ex decided we no longer needed it so it was sold :cry: .

I saw both these machines advertised but thought the second one I think would be very restricted for most use.

Good luck if you go for it - wish I had the spare cash but just bought a Twose 8ft flail mower so can't buy anything else at the moment.
Fordson Super Dexta, Ford 4610, and Ford 3000

GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

Hi Gavin, . i saw this addvertized an was thinking of puting in a bid but after looking at freight it was pushing
it out of my price bracket, iwould say go for it , the dexta should handel it ok lift wise, mybe you will
need some sort of front weight , ithink it would be around 1/2 ton weight , when its working feet should
help take the weight, though it might do with a frame to help take presure off the top link or mybe you
could rig something off the back axel to help stablise it if it seems that it might damage the top link,
good luck what ever you decide to , Gerry

sky blue
True Blue

Post by sky blue »

hi just a abit more on the mc connel back actor, since my last post ihave aquired a one of these
the same as in the picture and it works great on my s/d for what i need it for any way,
it is a bit heavy but dexta lifts it ok and moves it around carfuly though
ihad to put extra weight the front as it does lift the front when moving it about
especailly on a uneven ground , i did make bracket from the backend where the pin goes through
for top link to the actor, so i am not connected to draft spring control thingy
dont want to
damage hyds cover if it does take a knock :lol: :lol: ,
Regards sky blue