Bleading Horndraulic Loader Rams

This forum is about the tools you use to service your Fordson tractor AND about the implements you use when out in the field with Ol' Blue.
60dexta
True Blue

Bleading Horndraulic Loader Rams

Post by 60dexta »

I have just got a much better pair of rams for my Horndraulic loader.
They are single acting with the pipe connection welded on about half way up the ram body.
Do they self bleed? or do they need connecting up and opening and closing a few times with them on their side with the inlet pointing up?

Edit: Does anyone have a manual or exploded view of these?
I can post a picture if needed. I am not sure if there is more than one type.

Rob

tom lad
True Blue

Re: Bleading Horndraulic Loader Rams

Post by tom lad »

the rams should bleed themselves wen u rase the boom .

if the threaded fitting mid way along the ram is blank then its a dumy , so u screw the flexy hose on there when the rams r off , so u dont loose oil or let muck in the system .
tom
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, but most mornings I let her sleep in.

60dexta
True Blue

Post by 60dexta »

I figured it out today.
I took the old rams off and took one of them to bits.
The old ones have a small (maybe 1/8 BSP) plug in the side of the big aluminium screw cap for bleeding the rams.
The newer ones don't have that which is a bit of a bummer but I shall just lay them on their side and fill them right up with oil on the bench with them extended. Once I connect up rams and the pipes on the tractor I will squeeze the rams back in to squirt any air out of the pipes.

I was very surprised at how crude the rams are inside. Nothing more than a tube with some seals at on end. I thought there might have been a sliding bearing further back down the tube but there is just a bigger head on the shaft to stop it wobbling about too much.

Next job is to sort out some pipes... The old setup is made from a series of bits of pipe and numerous adapters and brazed blobs.

Rob

Gavin
True Blue

Post by Gavin »

Personally I have never needed to bleed a hydraulic ram. Initially they may be spongy but once fully extended they are fine.
Fordson Super Dexta, Ford 4610, and Ford 3000

_JOHN_
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by _JOHN_ »

I have some horndraulic loader rams here with the small plugs you describe, I was under the impression they were grub screws to keep the alloy screw caps on.

As said, the rams will self bleed