Dexta flail topper?

This forum is about the tools you use to service your Fordson tractor AND about the implements you use when out in the field with Ol' Blue.
Chug-A-Lug
True Blue

Dexta flail topper?

Post by Chug-A-Lug »

This shouldn't be a problem for a Super Dexta should it?

It's 5ft

Thinking of going to see it in the week, will be checking roller bearings, bearings on the flail drum, gearbox freeplay, and belts if I can see them, oh and the flails.

Anything else I need to check?
New Performance Super Dexta - Mostly 1964...

Gavin
True Blue

Re: Dexta flail topper?

Post by Gavin »

It looks like a lightweight machine so I can't see a problem, I used to use a 6ft flail on a super with no problems but it depends on what you are cutting too.
Fordson Super Dexta, Ford 4610, and Ford 3000

Chris Ivin
True Blue

Post by Chris Ivin »

Any thoughts on makes? There seem to be a wide range makes and prices out there, are there any to steer clear of? any you would recommend?

I currently have a finishing mower which is fine for mowing the orchard as I can get around the trees Ok but it is not man enough topping long grass. I would struggle to get around the orchard with a standard topper, hopefully a flail topper would fulfill both functions.
Chris

Brailes, UK

"Dexta's rule the World!"

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

On the flails, be sure none are missing as this type or mower will viberate a lot and knock its self apart if it is out of ballance. Back here we had Mott Mowers that were in common use on small Ford tractors. It was not uncommon for the flails and links to break. I always liked the two blade rotory mowers much better. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major