Howard Rotovator Spares

This forum is about the tools you use to service your Fordson tractor AND about the implements you use when out in the field with Ol' Blue.
bobfaecullen
True Blue

Howard Rotovator Spares

Post by bobfaecullen »

Hi All,

Just got my hands on an old Howard rotovator, it's a 60" Selectatilth, but the last owner ran it without oil in the chain casing and has almost melted the top bearing. The gearbox has survived and does everything it should, the bottom bearing in the chain casing seems ok, but the oil seal behind it is most probably shot and is probably the reason why it had no oil in it. If I can get my hands on a bearing, an oil seal and a set of blades it will be restored to working condition. Are Howard still available to order parts from or will I have to go to my nearest bearing stockist for parts. I believe Agriline do blades.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Most of my parts I get from Standen Engineering who took over the manufacture of some machines when Howard died. The seal and bearing I replaced were not from there though as the price made my eyes water. I got the bearing from a local supplier who did the seal as well, I also fitted a 2RS bearing incase the seal did not hold the dirt back to well.

That bearing is an absolute swine to get off. I welded a puller on it and eventually ended up cutting it off the shaft with oxy. It would not move even when red hot.

Mine has now worked for two years and is still going strong. It now needs another set of blades. I put a complete set on at the same time as I did all the rest.

The other company that took over some parts of Howard was Kongskilde of Holt, Norfolk.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

bobfaecullen
True Blue

Post by bobfaecullen »

Brian,

Thanks for info. I also had a problem getting the bearing off the shaft. I heated it and heated it and still it wouldn't move. Ended up cutting in lengthwise with a grinder and then chiselled it open.

Do you know what the oil levels should be in the gearbox and the chain casing. There doesn't seem to be a filler plug or level check on the gearbox, but there is a level check plug on the chain casing about 2/3rds way up, so I presume that is the fill level.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Gearbox oil should be just on the bottom of the gears, at least thats where I run mine. Chain case you have found it. I would use liquid grease in there.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian