Field disc for Power Major

This forum is about the tools you use to service your Fordson tractor AND about the implements you use when out in the field with Ol' Blue.
marveltone
Not Quite Blue Yet

Field disc for Power Major

Post by marveltone »

I've been fixing up old implements on the farm to pull behind my FMD (3 bottom plough, 12' field cultivator, 12' spike harrow) but I still need a disc. I have an uncle who says he knows of a 12' tandem disc with hydraulic lift that I could probably buy very cheap. My uncle is a farmer, so he knows way more than I ever will about this stuff, but I was wondering if 12' is too big for the Major or if it will pull it. My land is flat, so hills will not be an issue. The ground is not rocky at all, but it can be quite sticky, so I'm guessing it could pull heavy. It has been tilled and planted every year, so I'm not breaking new ground, just reworking it.

I haven't looked at the disc yet, but thought I'd get some opinions before I make the trip. Any thoughts?

Joe
1957 Fordson Major Diesel.

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Re: Field disc for Power Major

Post by BearCreek Majors »

Hi Joe.
I have pulled a 12' disk with my Super Major with no problems.

Pat

marveltone
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by marveltone »

I have no doubt a Super Major would handle a 12' disc, but it has considerably more power than the Major. I guess that leads to the question of power vs. traction. My Major has loaded rear tires with rear wheel weights. I also have about 350 lbs of suitcase weights I can put on the front if needed. The rear tires are almost brand new, so the tread is excellent. That being said, which will I run out of first? Traction or power?

Joe

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Unless you hit a mud hole, most likley neither. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

marveltone
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by marveltone »

Old post revival! Why did I call my tractor a Power Major? :eyes: It's an E1A Major Diesel. D-oh! :scratchhead:

It's been a while since I've posted, as I've been rather busy and too distracted to check in. During that time, I bought a Kewanee 130 field disc. It measures 11' from the outside blades and has the hydraulic lift. I used it to work over a 2 acre field that was left fallow for the summer. I'm happy to report the ol' Major did a stellar job pulling the disc through the weed-infested gumbo, even after it rained! It felt like a major triumph, since a guy at work kept insisting, "There's no way that little tractor will pull that disc. Get something between 7' and 9'. That's all it will handle." I made two different passes at different angles from each other to really chop up the weeds. The second pass went good and deep and finally gave my Major something good to snort at. What an awesome sound! In short, it did great! I love proving people wrong!

The information and encouragement on this website allowed me to stick to my guns and get the PERFECT disc for my tractor.

Thanks, all!

Joe

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

Great to hear the old girl did you good! :beer:
Post some pic's!

Pat

marveltone
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by marveltone »

Let's see if this works. ImageImageImageImage

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

great photos :beer:
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, but most mornings I let her sleep in.

ford5000y
True Blue

Post by ford5000y »

That is... BRILLIANT!!!!

Here, in the Philippines, an 8ft. trailed disc harrow on a moist soil would make our ford 5000 struggle sometime but someone who owned a fordson super major around here managed to pull another 8ft. disc harrow on very moist soil with much more ease!!!! :mrgreen:

Note: that fordson has "38" rims and no wheel weights nor water ballast.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Nice! :D The ol disk chopped er up real good. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major