Lister-Cockshutt Plough

This forum is about the tools you use to service your Fordson tractor AND about the implements you use when out in the field with Ol' Blue.
OGoldsmith
Not Quite Blue Yet

Lister-Cockshutt Plough

Post by OGoldsmith »

Hi

I used a Lister-Cockshutt plough behind my Fordson N and sometimes it be the only one at a match or its spot the Ransomes, anyway, il get to the point, (no pun intended) Ive noticed that a lot of other ploughmen (or women) carry a spare disc, is this a must?

Its just I used my friends Narrow Wing N with a RSLD and he stopped me after a while, and removed the second disc all together.

Cheers
Ollie
1940 Fordson Standard N 1948 Fordson Major E27N

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Re: Lister-Cockshutt Plough

Post by henk »

Ollie,

The reason for the third disk coulter the last furrow when you close the plough work. Ransomes disk holder are on one side and the house is very long. I think your holder is on both sides and therefore narrow.
At the last furrow the house of the holder is dragging over the ground of the next furrow and dropping it in the last furrow that has to be clean.
I have made one myself too.
It has nothing to do with a reserve disk, but in times of emergency it could help.
Problem is that at important matches were the keep the roles you are not allowed to change anything on the plough.

Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

OGoldsmith
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by OGoldsmith »

I see but a lot of ploughmen carry one.

cheers
Oliver
1940 Fordson Standard N 1948 Fordson Major E27N

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

hi

as henk says ..

as I understand it there r left and right handed disc's / holder , coulter arms .
I think the standard one is a right handed ( prob the type u have now , )
the other one , the spare one u see stowed on the back of a match mans plough is probably a left handed disc ,( its the coulter arm , bearing assembly that on the opposite side as henk said )

the DISC will be the same either way , its the bearing hub / attachment that's on the opposite side .
I think the standard one is the right handed one , opp. being the left handed .
a reversible plough with discs will have both types , one on the top , other on the bottom .

I also believe the left handed can be used on run number 2 as well as the last run.
I didn't used to believe that I wanted as left disc , seems a bit cheating :oops: , but now I want ( will have to make ) one to keep up with the others that will beat u by using one .the same probably also applies to a screw adst cross shaft.

all this said other types of coulters are different , a ferguson ploughs coulters ,( discs) are mounted differently so the bearing is central and doesn't get in the way like a ransomes does .totally different design.
hope this all makes some sense
have you photos of you're set up ?
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, but most mornings I let her sleep in.

henk

Post by henk »

At the second run, I don't need the left disk holder, as I use large coulter disks. But with a smaller one it could be useful.

Problem now day's at matches in Holland is that you have to use an original plough with original parts and you may not change a thing on the plough during the match. The use of non original weights is not permitted. A self made width control is not allowed. Changing the disk from right to a left one can cost you points.
My friend had a penalty from 10 points for mounting an original central depth wheel during round one and two and the last furrow and removing it in between.
The jury told him you may not remove or mount a thing during the mach. Another one use to lift the front plough beam during the first furrow. He had some extra holes made on the beam, but because he had it unbolted and took it off to hang it higher, it was seen as removing. It cost him 10 points.
When you think about that, even turning the depth wheel to change the wheel base of it, can be seen as removing and can cost points. This is done because the difference between the skills of the participants is so little.
This all is no problem as all plough men in Holland has the same rules, but it’s something difference with a European match as English plough men can change a lot of things on there ploughs with no consequents. Even when ploughing in Holland.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

I did nt know that henk :roll:

I wish we had (in uk) a class were the plough had to be standard , this should help to level the field :clap:

the men I'm ploughing against have so many modifications to their ploughs I wouldn't know were to start .
is it fair or not ???

the man who always wins ( who I respect , he's a nice guy ) has a VERY modified ransomes plough.
maybe its more about engineering skill ,or money , than the man on the seat .

it does mean that the novice / beginner has little chance once they leave the novice class.

So , will u drop the 10 points to plough better ???
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, but most mornings I let her sleep in.