Which Plough

This forum is about the tools you use to service your Fordson tractor AND about the implements you use when out in the field with Ol' Blue.
oor wullie
Not Quite Blue Yet

Which Plough

Post by oor wullie »

I was hoping to buy my first plough at the weekend but am stuck at work so will (hopefully) be sending my good wife to the auction.
There are a number of possibly suitable looking ploughs but I don't know much about ploughs and my wife even less.
Would any of the following be suitable (or preferred) for doing basic ploughing with a Dexta?

The only ID that the catalogue gives is that the first picture is a Ferguson and the last one a Ford.

There are a few others, single furrow and 3 furrow which are also up for sale but I figured 2 furrow would probably be best.

Thanks for the help
Tim

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Which Plough

Post by Brian »

I would not touch any of the grey Fergy ploughs they are not worth the money even if they go at scrap price! :D The red one looks like an IH or could even be a David Brown, that would be the one I would bid on.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

oor wullie
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by oor wullie »

Thanks Brian.
All the grey ones are slightly different. Are they all fergies or are some of them other makes that have been painted grey?

fenhayman
True Blue

Post by fenhayman »

Wullie, the attachment points to the tractor linkage are all almost identical and that is what identifies them as Ferguson.
I agree with Brian's comments about Ferguson ploughs. I couldn't make a good job with a Ferguson plough coupled to a Ferguson tractor yet alone a Dexta.

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

hi
just to upset everything :buddies:
the red one to me is a david brown A type , I think ,
I own a a type , not easy to set behind any of my tractors , mine I believe is designed for a early d b tractor 25 D ? not happy behind anything else , if it is a early d B don't bother sir .

there prob a good plough but have to be pulled by what there were designed for , a early David brown .

I have got it work but the right hand rear tyre had to be set on the narrowest setting , with a 12 " plough , long story , ploughs clean now ,greased up and parked in the farthest part of my shed .
I then bought a ransomes .

only my opinion :beer:

I think my fergie ploughs work behind my super dexta

I guess the point is , buy what was intended / designed to be used with the tractor ??

tom
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, but most mornings I let her sleep in.

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

I think the last ones a ford ferguson , the top link frame should be a casting ,

there a bit rare .
for the 9 N ?? ford ferguson ??

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

hi
what did you do in the end sir ?

oor wullie
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by oor wullie »

I didn't get anything at that sale in the end.
Since then I have picked up a single furrow plough but haven't had a chance to even try hitching it up yet due to being distracted with trying to work out how to get my binder working and having to go to work (such an inconvenience).

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

:beer:
never let work interfere with playing with tractors :clap: :clap:

all the best

blackbob
True Blue

Post by blackbob »

As a newish member, am I allowed to resurrect this old thread? :D

The second photo http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c304/ ... a0a410.jpg
would be the plough I would go for, it is a MF 794 with bar-point bodies, a robust plough which suits the soil here, much like Ransomes/ Dowdeswell SCN's.

Although, I'm not sure how available parts are now, so I would check before I bought it.. it would be possible to make Ransomes bar-points fit, although they're over £40 each nowadays :shock:

I don't see why a 794 wouldn't work with a Dexta, it would have been designed to fit a 35, and the linkage geometry of the 2 tractors can't be so very different? Some of the first ploughing I did was helping our neighbour, using his 794 and 135, and we then got our own plough, which worked fine on our Zetor 3511. Then we had to make it fit the Super Major, by cutting off the Cat 1 pins and welding on bigger, as I don't think the Major had interchangeable balls?
I seem to remember working in 4th gear, and with the diff-lock and often wheel-weights on, it would give the plough a real test when we hit one of our granite boulders - you could see the leg twist, but it was never permanently bent. This is some very rough pasture I was trying to improve:
1440276 - 1957 - working
1335674 - err - one day..
Claeys combine M103 - 1963 703129 - working
Ford 7710 2wd, 1983 - working

The Fordson Tractor Pages. Built to be relied on.