Ransomes Robin

This forum is about the tools you use to service your Fordson tractor AND about the implements you use when out in the field with Ol' Blue.
jambug123
True Blue

Ransomes Robin

Post by jambug123 »

well after a long search i have finally got a ransomes robin plough that requires a bit of work and a couple of things like discs and scimmers. i also need to make a new cross shaft adjuster handle.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16320247@N ... hotostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16320247@N ... hotostream

the restoration is underway i have just removed the pitting from the boddies and freed off the cross shaft adjuster.

I will hopefully find out what bodies it has fitted at some point.

Regards
James

Bensdexta
True Blue

Robin Resto

Post by Bensdexta »

Hi James,

Delighted to see she now has a good owner and look forward to hearing how the resto goes.

All the best,

Ben

jambug123
True Blue

Post by jambug123 »

Thanks Ben,
i shall get some more pics tomorrow. i have the plough in 2 parts and also cleaned one of the bodies i am currently working on the other, i have been able to source disc coulter assemlies, mounting brackets and the other couple of parts i need for the plough.

Thanks also with your help in finding this plough.

Regards
James

Bensdexta
True Blue

Robin Refurb

Post by Bensdexta »

jambug123 wrote:i have the plough in 2 parts and also cleaned one of the bodies i am currently working on the other, i have been able to source disc coulter assemlies, mounting brackets and the other couple of parts i need for the plough.
Hi James,
Are the bodies cleaning up OK - not too pitted? How do you do it?
Where does one get parts for such an old plough? Do coulters etc need to be Ransomes or are coulters fairly generic?
Delighted I was able to help - pure chance that I spotted it! Wonders of the web! :)
All the best,
Ben

jambug123
True Blue

Post by jambug123 »

the bodies are very good plenty of meat on them. The pitting wasn't that bad at all it only went in approx 2mm, the way i remove the pitting is with the careful use of a angle grinder. Then using a flap disc to smooth off the board ready for it to score when i take it to the field.

I phoned westlake plough parts, i could use others such as kneverland or Dowswell.
As i wish to get the plough to as orginal condition as possible, i shall be using ransomes coulters and scimmers.

Regards
James

Chris Ivin
True Blue

Post by Chris Ivin »

Hi James,

The bodies look like Epics to me, I have them on my Ransomes TS59. They are not that popular in matches but I think they make quite a tidy job, they are semi diggers.

Good luck with the restoration, the Robin is a good plough for the Dexta.

Chris
Chris

Brailes, UK

"Dexta's rule the World!"

Bensdexta
True Blue

RANSOMES PARTS

Post by Bensdexta »

jambug123 wrote:As i wish to get the plough to as orginal condition as possible, i shall be using ransomes coulters and scimmers.
I assume that 'genuine' Ransomes parts aren't made anymore, so it's a matter of searching around for 2nd hand ones?
All the best,
Ben

jambug123
True Blue

Post by jambug123 »

Chris,
thanks for the info on the bodies epics do do a good job i like to plough to get a level top ready for planting.

Ben,
They will be good second hand parts through westlake plough parts and will be restored to good order, i can get new bodies,points and landslides and also scimmers from the above place and you can normally get them from a good agricultural machinery parts supplier.

Regards
James

jambug123
True Blue

Post by jambug123 »

I have just got the Instruction and parts book for my Ts 54 robin so i can find out exactly what is missing, I also got a dexta operators handbook and The Ransomes guide to good ploughing.

So i should now have no problem in getting my Robin set up for the tractor and get my openings a bit better.

Regards
James

Bensdexta
True Blue

Robin

Post by Bensdexta »

James,
Glad to here you're making progress.
When do you hope to have the Robin operational?
All the best,
Ben

jambug123
True Blue

Post by jambug123 »

it should be operational in the next few weeks but im going to try the plough out first before i paint it.

Regards
James

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

jambug123 wrote:it should be operational in the next few weeks but im going to try the plough out first before i paint it.
That's good. Look forward to hearing further news.
All the best,
Ben

jambug123
True Blue

Post by jambug123 »

ive been looking through my parts manual for this plough and it seems that knife coulters where available and scimmers on seperate legs attached to the frame.
Is there any differance in the two types of coulter other than ones a disc and one is a Knife.

Regards
James

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Discs and skimmers are what you need.

The knife coulters were not a common addition and were mainly used in very hard ground. The disc leaves a nice cut finish and the skimmer ensures the top oif the furrow slice is not left in the join as the furrow is turned.

On my TS82 I have what is known as SN skimmers. These take the top half inch of the furrow slice, about 6" across it and put that right in the bottom of the furrow. It is totally sealed. If you look at some work, you will see green lines where the furrow slices join. These are weed just waiting to break through. A good well set skimmer makes sure that ths is under the slice and sealed in.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Brian,
Do you have a picture of the skimmers you are talking about, I've never heard of them or seen them, but that sounds like a good add on to my ploughs.
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

jambug123
True Blue

Post by jambug123 »

Thanks Brian,
i see that modern ploughs just use scimmers and i remember my grandad speeking about knife coulters and a seperate scimmer mounted on his trailer plough behind his Standard fordson and wondered how they differd, He said they do a good job too.

Regards
James

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

James,
I've got some knife coulters but have never used them. Discs can act as wheels in hard ground and do not allow the plough to penetrate, or if ypu are ploughing deep work, trash can buid on the axles. I do not use them for my field work but do if I am going to a plough day on the rear furrow.

Ransomes also did something called the "sword" landslide which was a knife coulter attached to the share. This was all the rage at one time but I have not seen one for a few years.

Mark,

Here is a picture of the TS82 and the skimmers in work. I don't know if they were available over on your side of the pond. The plough is a Ransomes.

Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

jambug123
True Blue

Post by jambug123 »

Brian,
could you possibly post a pic of the knife coulters with some dimentions so i could make some up for my robin. we do have some hard ground round here and found that my old plough used to ride out of the ground in places with the disc coulters even when they where set high. Are those scimmers available as that set up looks to work well.

Regards
James

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

James,

Will get you a picture of the coulter later but for now here is one to be going on with. This would fit nicely behind a Dexta!! :D

Last edited by Brian on Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Here is the picture of the knife coulter.

Brian

jambug123
True Blue

Post by jambug123 »

Thanks Brian,
That is just what i needed i shall now make some up and get some IBP skim coulters and mount on the frame then when the ground is hard i shall change over to the knife coulter.

Regards
James

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Brian,
Buying all the plough points would be very expensive over here, but I know that would be great for my area. Some times I have to get off and clean the junk off mine several times whilst plouging, that would be a bonus to have on mine, maybe some day I'll fabricate some.

What type of animal or animals was needed to pull the old wooden plough.
See ya
Mark

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Horses or oxen and even the farmers wife! :cry:

That picture was taken in a very dark shed in Germany. I have a better one that I will transfer later.
Brian

Bensdexta
True Blue

Early knife coulter?

Post by Bensdexta »

Brian wrote:That picture was taken in a very dark shed in Germany. I have a better one that I will transfer later.
Brian,
Is that plough 'complete' and in 'working order'? I take it that it has a 'knife' coulter? Was the knife the first type of coulter - much simpler than a disc?
How does the draft control operate?
Thanks,
Ben

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Brian,
You would have to use special collars and hames, and maybe shorter trace chains, for the women. My wife broke free after I hooked her up to the plough, you ought to have seen her. I wish I could remember what it looked like, it's been since last spring that I saw her last. Although I do remember one day I was about to get my sight back and gave a good laugh about what had happened when I lost my sense of sight, and smell again, with little ringing noise's going through my ears. I think she is still a little bit angry with me. I must have had the collar to tight. :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

Have a Merry Christmas, and a Happy New year.
See ya
Mark