Cordwood saw bearings

This forum is about the tools you use to service your Fordson tractor AND about the implements you use when out in the field with Ol' Blue.
Chris Ivin
True Blue

Cordwood saw bearings

Post by Chris Ivin »

Has anyone replaced the bearings in a ferguson cardwood saw and if so where did you get the bearings from?

After having acquired a Dexta belt pulley I have recently bought a saw and there is some play in the bearings. I have the saw stripped down and thought I would renew the bearings while I am at it if they are available.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Wood burner coming next month!
Chris

Brailes, UK

"Dexta's rule the World!"

jambug123
True Blue

Post by jambug123 »

normally when i need a bearing i go to my local machinery place as they will normally get one that will be right.

Regards
James

Chris Ivin
True Blue

Post by Chris Ivin »

James,

Who do you use locally?

I am just up the road from you and I haven't had to source anything this size before.

Chris
Chris

Brailes, UK

jambug123
True Blue

Post by jambug123 »

i normally use weaving machinery in chadbury they help me out alot with things like this. if you take one with you they will measure it up and source one.

Regards
James

Mike Kuscher
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Mike Kuscher »

Chris,

Another alternative to try...
Can't remember the name of the company but I've used them a few times for replacement of 'strange' or odd bearings.

Go to Warwick, the Heathcote Industrial Estate.
Turn into Heathcote Way. Take first left, by what used to be "Books for Students". Last small unit on the right facing "Books for Students", before you make a 90 degree right hand turn.

They have always had something suitable.
Further useful info...
If you go round the corner from there, about 50 yards on you right is another small unit that will either stock or obtain any thread (nut, screw, allthread etc) that you need.

Sorry, I never took notice of the company names, because our office was just over the road from them, for nearly 20 years, so I just used to walk over during lunch.

Regards,
Mike

Chris Ivin
True Blue

Post by Chris Ivin »

Thanks Mike and James,

I will give them a try your local knowledge is appreciated.
Chris

Brailes, UK

Chris Ivin
True Blue

Post by Chris Ivin »

I took the bearings apart yesterday.

I found that the main problem are not the bearings(part 10) themselves but the fact that the bearings run directly on the mandrel (shaft) and the shaft has worn :( (too little grease or too greater belt tension :?: ).

The mandrel shaft appears to be a mild steel shaft threaded on the blade end. Has anyone had this problem and if so are there any solutions. It looks as if it shouldn't be too difficult to get one fabricated professionally(safety critical!), has anyone done this :?:

In the mean time it looks to be usable but I would like to sort it out at some point.
Chris

Brailes, UK

Chris Ivin
True Blue

Post by Chris Ivin »

I managed to get the shaft repaired at my local saw shop.

The guy at the sawshop turned down the worn area of the shaft on a lathe, then sweated on a sleeve and turned it down to size.

He has done a great job on it :D , he has even made the shaft slightly oversize to allow for small amount of wear in the roller bearings.
Chris

Brailes, UK