IH B23 Finger Bar Mower

This forum is about the tools you use to service your Fordson tractor AND about the implements you use when out in the field with Ol' Blue.
BarryA
Not Quite Blue Yet

IH B23 Finger Bar Mower

Post by BarryA »

Hi
I've just bought a B23 finger bar mower. Does anyone have a manual I could look at or purchase?
Cheers, Barry

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: IH B23 Finger Bar Mower

Post by Bensdexta »

Readily available eg from here:
http://www.agrimanuals.com/

Let us know how you get on with your B23.

How does it cope with thick leys, mouse nests etc?
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

BarryA
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by BarryA »

Thanks Bensdexta. Just giving it a clean up and hoping to give it a go on some thistles. Will let you know how it goes.
Barry

pbufton
True Blue

Post by pbufton »

Ive tried my grandfathers b23 on my dexta and could not get along with it at all. Saying that the mower is massively worn and I have an apparent hydraulics issue with my dexta

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

pbufton wrote:Ive tried my grandfathers b23 on my dexta and could not get along with it at all. Saying that the mower is massively worn and I have an apparent hydraulics issue with my dexta
What was the problem with the mower? Is the Pitman arm bearing worn?

Do you need the hydraulics once the cutter bar is deployed - does it not just run along the ground on its skids?

BarryA
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by BarryA »

Does anyone have any advice on buying a suitable PTO guard for my B23 mower which will be attached to a Ford 4600?

Any advice welcome. Its not that easy for a beginner to work out what to buy :scratchhead: . Or am i a bit thick :eyes:

Cheers
Barry

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

pbufton
True Blue

Post by pbufton »

I lie, grandfather's isn't a b23. It doesn't seem to fit very well on the dexta either. I'll get a photo when I'm there next

BarryA
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by BarryA »

Does anyone have some dimensions for the grass stick for a B23 mower. I've had a new board made using the old one as a pattern but there's no stick to work from. The manual shows it but doesnt give any sizes. Do i really need the grass stick for hay? It works fine without for topping nettles/thistles.
Cheers Barry.

anthonygos
True Blue

Post by anthonygos »

BarryA wrote:Does anyone have some dimensions for the grass stick for a B23 mower. I've had a new board made using the old one as a pattern but there's no stick to work from. The manual shows it but doesnt give any sizes. Do i really need the grass stick for hay? It works fine without for topping nettles/thistles.
Cheers Barry.
It would be about the same length has the board and a handle of a spade shovel would do the job, and I would use one when making hay..!
Don't just leave it in the shed, Fordson's are made to work, so take it out and work it....!

BarryA
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by BarryA »

Thanks.
Barry

blackbob
True Blue

Post by blackbob »

This is what came with mine, the stick is tapered and has some red paint on it, so it's possibly the original...

PS Barry I know that was an old post about pto guard but if you still have the original square-section shaft it might be difficult getting new guards to fit, as modern guards run on nylon bushes but the old ones I think ran on bearings? Mine only came with the yoke attached to the pulley, but I went to the local dealer and got a lemon-section tube to fit it.

Not wishing to sound cavalier about health & safety, but the pto shaft is possibly the least dangerous part of a mower anyway
1440276 - 1957 - working
1335674 - err - one day..
Claeys combine M103 - 1963 703129 - working
Ford 7710 2wd, 1983 - working

The Fordson Tractor Pages. Built to be relied on.

BarryA
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by BarryA »

Blackbob

I haven't done much with the mower but i'm hoping to cut some hay this year. I've bought a PZ haybob with a mangled PTO guard. I've just sorted a replacement today and have learned a lot about PTO shafts and guards in the last few days. I am going to replace the shaft on the B23 for the reason you stated. I'm going to get a new guarded shaft. I get what you are saying about the dangers. There's the cutting end, the flywheel and the PTO shaft. However if i can take one out of the danger equation i will.

Thanks for the replies.
Barry

blackbob
True Blue

Post by blackbob »

Fair enough.. You maybe already found out, but the pto yoke at the mower end is screwed on, with a left-hand thread? The storeman at the [formerly International] dealer I went to didn't even bother looking in his computer to see if that was still available.. He did offer me a complete shaft including guard, for something like £120, and I would have to take the splined yoke off one end and fit my own, threaded one.

The universal-joint size is 61 x 24 mm, if it's any help!

Sorry my photo above seems to have disappeared, I think I deleted it from my Photobucket library which I obviously shouldn't have done, I'll get it back on :)
1440276 - 1957 - working

BarryA
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by BarryA »

Does the threaded yoke simply (I know, I know) thread out? If so i plan to have a new PTO shaft made up. Thanks for the yoke size.

Next one - do you (or anyone else) know where i can get a new pitman arm??

Cheers
Barry

blackbob
True Blue

Post by blackbob »

Yes, I didn't realise it was threaded until I tried turning the shaft to free off the overload clutch. Facing towards the back of the mower, you will have to turn the shaft clockwise to unscrew it.

As for the pitman :?: :?: Mine has a bit of pipe, maybe inch-and-half or so..
1440276 - 1957 - working

BarryA
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by BarryA »

Blackbob
Have tried to send a pm without any luck. Basically, was your overload clutch jammed? I think mine is but going to have a look today. How did you free yours?
Cheers
Barry

blackbob
True Blue

Post by blackbob »

Hello again Barry, yes I got your PM but I thought, we've come this far and may as well continue on the open forum, our struggles will maybe help someone somewhere? :D

I did think the book might give some advice on setting the overload clutch etc, but nothing :(

But there's not much to it, take out the big split-pin and remove the big nut with a Stillson or whatever. Then grease everything, the belt-pulley needs to be free to turn on the shaft it sits on, when there is no tension on the spring to keep everything together. Then put it all together, remember to put the split-pin back in, otherwise, I found that the nut tightens itself if you use the mower and the clutch slips.

I think it was the big nut that I had to heat to loosen, that's how I found out about the pto yoke being screwed on.

Oh and some previous owner had welded the breakback device solid, I haven't had it operate yet but I took it all apart and oiled it.

And one other tip, which you've probably already found out, and isn't mentioned in the book.. The 'lower link lift lever' which contacts the bottom of the tractor's left-hand link arm? Mine was bent like a banana when it looks like it should be straight, and I see now that that is caused by having your tractor's top-link too long - then when you lift the mower it puts the top-link into compression and the lever is the weakest link, and will bend. So check while lifting the mower that the top-link is still loose, and only use the mower's own adjustment to alter the angle of the fingers..
1440276 - 1957 - working

BarryA
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by BarryA »

Thanks again. I was pretty sure that the large (2 1/4 inch) nut needed to come off. I wasn't sure if taking it off would result in a pinging sound and end up with me looking down at lots of different bits of metal scattered across the barn floor :D.

Get your point about then bent arm. Mine is as well and will make sure i don't use the top link to set the cutters. I'll get the adjuster freed up.

I have a manual but to be honest i don't think its that good for a total novice. It is definitely not an idiots guide to the B23.

Additionally i don't have the chain that attaches to the tractor linkage. It's mentioned in the bottom left paragraph of the manual page you have copied. Do you have one on yours?
Cheers, Barry

blackbob
True Blue

Post by blackbob »

No I maybe should have, as I'm using it on a 57 Major without position control, but the height of the mower doesn't matter within an inch or 2, so I;m happy as it is. Only cutting thistles anyway; and it would be easy to make a chain if you really wanted.

And PS don't worry, the spring is fully expanded before the nut comes off :)
Last edited by blackbob on Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1440276 - 1957 - working

BarryA
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by BarryA »

I have some work to do with mine getting things freed up and set properly. However after talking to you and having more of a look at the machine I understand it a lot better (at least I think I do) :) I'll let you know how i get on.

Thank you
Barry

fenhayman
True Blue

Post by fenhayman »

With respect to Black Bob's comment "Not wishing to sound cavalier about health & safety, but the pto shaft is possibly the least dangerous part of a mower anyway".

I must strongly disagree. Various bits of a mower will cut or crush fingers or legs.
PTO shafts, just catching on a trouser leg, sleeve or coat tail will remove limbs or at worst cause death.
Pleased to see that the issue of a guard is being addressed responsibly

blackbob
True Blue

Post by blackbob »

Don't you think the split-pin we mentioned above, rotating at the same speed as the pto shaft, is more exposed, and therefore more of a danger to someone [reckless] standing near an operating mower, than the shaft itself?

Yes I have seen photos of B-23's with a guard over the belt and pulleys, so they are available; but nowhere among the photos in my operator's manual is there a machine with a guard fitted, so I'm guessing it was a later addition?

There are many machines where I hardly dare leave the tractor seat with them running - and have absolutely no need to do so anyway - for example, rotary mower, haybob, muck-spreader, power harrow, fertiliser spreader...

Maybe we should just scrap all these dangerous old tractors and machines, with manual steering which can damage your hands or wrists driving over bumpy fields, with exposed hydraulic hoses (which can burst and blast you with hot high-pressure oil) a few inches from your body, exposed injection-pump drives, an exhaust belching carcinogenic diesel particulates just in front of your face, limited (if any) protection in the event of an overturn, etc, etc.

You just have to be sensible. And careful.

Edit: in my opinion the cameraman is putting himself in great danger to make this video - and the hazard is not the pto shaft, whether it is guarded or not:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoFfqyvIqs4
1440276 - 1957 - working

BarryA
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by BarryA »

To be fair to blackbob he stated that he had discovered that the old yolk threaded out and had taken his yolk and had a new guarded pto shaft made up. He also gave me some dimensions. Armed with this information I've spoken to my local agricultural dealer and i'm having the same done. Pointing out that there are other, potentially more dangerous, moving parts is not cavalier. It depends how you read something.

For clarity though, i am having a guarded pto shaft made up for my machine.

Thanks (for all advice), Barry.