Power Major Plough

This forum is about the tools you use to service your Fordson tractor AND about the implements you use when out in the field with Ol' Blue.
58vintage
True Blue

Power Major Plough

Post by 58vintage »

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in getting a plough for my 1958 Power Major and a farmer within 6 miles of me has said he may well part with his 3 furrow Ransomes TS59 J plus. The plough has disks but no skimmers. From what I can gather this type plough that would have been bought to put behind my power major when new.
He says she is completely original re type of boards etc the only thing that is wrong is the depth wheel bearing is seized.
I want to use the plough for a little playing at home and maybe the once a year local ploughing match. I see all about YL165 and YL183 boards etc but what we're fitted as standard to the TS59 J plus?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Power Major Plough

Post by Brian »

Would have been YL or EPIC mouldboards. For ploughing matches everyone goes for YL, they only plough about 4" to 6" deep though. I love my EPIC boards as they leave a "square" cut furrow with a nice crest to break down over the winter. I also have a single furrow and a three furrow with DMC bodies that leave a "broken" furrow slice and plough slightly deeper.

EPIC.

DMC

The DMC "rolls" the furrow right over whilst the EPIC leaves it set up.

One thing of extreme importance though (IMHO) is you need skimmers. Otherwise any weed is left just in the gap where the furrows join rather than being put in the bottom of the furrow. Skimmers are more important than discs. In hard work the disc tends to lift the plough out of the ground. I do not use them at all apart from one on the rear furrow if I want to make it "look pretty". I am more interested on getting the trash buried.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

58vintage
True Blue

Post by 58vintage »

Hi Brian,
I'm picking up the plough tomorrow probably. I've been for a look and she's fitted with YL165 boards with disks no skims. I see in photos that some ts59's had a little skimmer on like a round tube half loop bracket attached to the disk brackets. Do you know if they are available and if they'll fit any ts59?
Have to agree with you there your EP1C boards leave a lovely upright, sharp peak looks nice that. The DMC was a full digger body wasn't it? Looks like it would need minimal cultivation afterwards. Looks much like the finish on a modern reversible.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Yes, some skimmers clamp on the side of the disc. Again, my preference, I like a separate skimmer and have just managed to pick up enough to do my whole plough collection.

Plough parts can be got from Westlake Plough Parts near Peterborough, he has just about everything you need but be prepared to pay. Think I read somewhere that Old Twenty Parts Co was doing skimmers for your plough too.

Yes the DMC is a digger body, the one I have had on the single furrow has ploughed in some pretty rough stuff over the years and buried it nicely.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

pictures please :D
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, but most mornings I let her sleep in.