New plough for Dotty

This forum is about the tools you use to service your Fordson tractor AND about the implements you use when out in the field with Ol' Blue.
Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

New plough for Dotty

Post by Brian »

I have had Dotty's new plough for some time, got it from the well known tractor and implement supplier Hedges and Nettles Limited :roll: .The plough is a TS1013 or "Robin" built around 1957-58 especially for the Dexta although I have seen versions made for the Allis ED40 and D272, these came with depth wheels.

Will take pictures at The East of England Tractor Show over the weekend but have just got a picture of the name plate which makes interesting reading.

It credits design and manufacturing to both Ford and Ransomes whereas the larger ploughs for the Major are just Ransomes or FR.

14/4/2016

Pictures of the plough and Dotty.

I have not tried her yet as work and weather are against us. I also had to pick up my birthday plough yesterday, a TSR102. From what I can see she is like a new plough under the surface rust. She has not been used for many years because the owner could not get it to plough right, seems one of the attaching arms where it fits to the tractor had been fitted wrongly, when I changed it to bring the plough home on Nuffy, he was very surprised. Could be my lucky {birth}day
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

RH
True Blue

Re: New plough for Dotty

Post by RH »

Looks a grand little plough, Brian.

Will look better when you get the pressure plates set the same. :-)

We had a 3 furrow Robin at one time.
Wish I could find a Ransomes over here for the Major!........even if I Did have to change the back wheels on one of them.

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

I saw it at the show last Sunday Richard, it's a real nice looking thing and just suits Dotty :)

I take it Ransomes ploughs didn't make much impact across the pond then ? They seem to have exported them all over the place, including for elephant power :clap: I suppose the traditional multi bottom, manned plough makers had plenty of time to react as TPL appears to have taken some time to to make any headway against dead haulage in the US & Canadia.

Having heard some of the offers made to Brian for his Robin, I reckon if you could round up a container of petrol Dextas you might be in with a chance of a deal :eyes:
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

RH
True Blue

Post by RH »

Rick,

I was talking to the next door neighbour this morning, and his dad bought a Super and a Ransomes plough at the same time, but a long time ago!
Somehow we got diverted, as I was going to ask if it was still sitting in the weeds somewhere.
We have been here for 32 years now, but I suppose most Ransomes had been and went before we arrived.

I'll likely find one one day, but a source for shins and socks and mouldboards might be a bit tricky!

Maybe a full container of Major cowls might just pay for a plough you think?? :)

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

OK Richard,

I guess there may be more chance of a find in Canada perhaps, just how reciprocal the F-R Ransomes tie up was I don't know, I have always been a little surprised at how independent the Fordson factory seemed to be here (until the move to Basildon) given Ford's heavy hand approach to its car making facilities.

Nose cones ? I doubt a boatload would do :wink:

What about that other Robin, the Reliant - many of them about ??
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

RH
True Blue

Post by RH »

Reliant Robin??

The only ones I have seen here were on "Mr Bean"!!

An old pal at home got one when he was getting on a bit, as he could drive that with his motor-bike licence.
It would go anywhere, but I suppose being always full of tools, a gun, feed for his hens, moletraps, and a dead lamb or 'sike like" for his fox wires all helped the traction.
In the season it was full of holly & ivy and sphagnum moss, for his wreathing. Made lovely wreaths.

Now I'm sure you needed to know that didn't you!?!

blackbob
True Blue

Post by blackbob »

I found this, obviously the 'Norfolk Boy's Land' version:

:)
1440276 - 1957 - working
1335674 - err - one day..
Claeys combine M103 - 1963 703129 - working
Ford 7710 2wd, 1983 - working

The Fordson Tractor Pages. Built to be relied on.

ford5000y
True Blue

Post by ford5000y »

oehrick wrote:They seem to have exported them all over the place, including for elephant power
We own a Ransomes disc harrow. According to what I could make out of the battered nameplate (the nameplate alone made me think it is imported from somewhere else, and because if it's just made locally it won't be designed as properly as the one we own and the makers most likely would never put a manufacturer's plate on it) it is a Ransomes hr 30a mounted disc harrow. My father said they used it behind a fordson major that my grandparents once owned. We only have the front half though, the rear half is removed because it is very heavy for my granfather's ford 4000 because he once removed the front wheel weights but those weights were buried under flood deposits and he can't find them anymore, so my father plans to reuse it by putting a landside wheel like those fitted to proper disc ploughs to stop the side draft.