Cordwood saw up and running

This forum is about the tools you use to service your Fordson tractor AND about the implements you use when out in the field with Ol' Blue.
Chris Ivin
True Blue

Cordwood saw up and running

Post by Chris Ivin »

Finally finished the cordwood saw.

It is a Massey Ferguson ALE-20 (late 1950's early 1960's)

It is great tool for a Dexta, I sliced through a months supply of firewood in about 30 minutes.

Before picture
Finished project
In use
Chris

Brailes, UK

"Dexta's rule the World!"

Bensdexta
True Blue

Saw

Post by Bensdexta »

Chris,
Looks good.
Where did you get it?
How much did the refurb cost?
Thanks,
Ben

Chris Ivin
True Blue

Post by Chris Ivin »

I acquired it from someone in Sleaford Lincolnshore, it was sold new from a Fergie Dealer in Kettering.

I had to get the main shaft that was badly worn on the pulley bearing end repaired. This was turned down and sleeved by a local saw doctor - Cost £50

I did get the original blade sharpened as it was not too badly pitted but the saw doctor told me that when he set the teeth he found that there were parts of the blade that were excessively hard and that although not condemnable it was not far off. So I decided to go for a new blade as I would be the one using it!!! - Cost £150

New flat belt from AC belting - Cost £50

The guard I had fabricated by a friend in the Engineering Dept. of my place of work - Cost £20

Pot of grey paint - Cost £10

Although I spent more on than I envisaged I think it was a good investment as it is nearly as good as new.

The blade is fairly well guarded and reasonable safe to use, as you stand to one side of the blade to use it (but as with any power saw it deserves respect!!). The shaft and belt look a bit of a health hazard but as long as you keep clear of them and do not wear any loose clothing there should not be any problems.
Chris

Brailes, UK

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

Accidents usually happends when something sudden and unexpecting happends, like a piece of wood that falls, or if You tumble. Then You perhaps grab to some moving part that dont have the shield. But we hope not. :wink:

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Looks great Chris,

but watchout, keep counting your fingers. :)
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Frans
True Blue

Post by Frans »

Nice job Chris,

Please look out for the saw, where I came from and still on my work there are people missing fingers from that kind of machinery

Be carefull and if possble make safety gard
regards Frans

who's afraid off blue orange and grey
1960 Power Major Roadless 6 cyl conversion
1964 NP Super Major

Chris Ivin
True Blue

Post by Chris Ivin »

Thanks for all your compliments and advice, they are appreciated as these saws are potentially dangerous machines even in experienced hands.

I too have known many farm workers with missing fingers due to these machines. Dave my mentor when I first started work on the farm as a teenager was very strict with safety around the saw bench but he still managed to lose his middle 3 fingers below the knuckle (I wasn't around at the time). My wife too has similar experiences having taken a neighbour (together with his thumb) to hospital, luckily they managed to join the two together again.

I have a great respect for circular saws, I have ben cutting about 6 tons of logs a year at a local wood using a more modern McConnel saw bench with a floating table in recent years but starting out using a Fergie saw of a slightly older vintage than the one I have restored.

The working area around a bench should be kept clear of potential trip hazards I prefer to use a bench with a trusted helper(more than one is a distraction) who passes me wood to be cut, this enables me to find a comfortable position to work in and means that I do not have to change my footing, with less chance of loosing my footing. I try and stick to a methodical safe working rythm, as you rightly say it is the unexpected that is the problem!

I am intending to try and guard the shaft and belt pulley if practical.
Chris

Brailes, UK

Huzey
True Blue

Post by Huzey »

Lovely job Chris.
Glad AC belting sorted your flat belt.
All the best
Huzey :D

MikeR
Not Quite Blue Yet

Saw

Post by MikeR »

looks a lot better than mine !
Can i ask where you got the blade - mine could do wityh a new one.
Mike

Chris Ivin
True Blue

Post by Chris Ivin »

Hi Mike,

I got my new blade from:

Canaan Carbides Ltd
Briar Close Business Park
Evesham
WR11 4JQ (Road Map)
Hereford and Worcester

Tel: 01386 442818
Fax: 01386 40564

They gave an excellent service, I would recommend them. They also sorted my worn bearing surface on the pulley shaft out as well.
Chris

Brailes, UK

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Hi Chris
As an added precaution I tied a length of binder twine under the stop button and run it to the saw ebnch so that I could kill the engine ASAP rather than running round to the side of the tractor to pull the stop button.
Regards
Jerry
Camerton
Bath
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

Chris Ivin
True Blue

Post by Chris Ivin »

Hi Jerry,

That sounds a good idea, I might try that.
Chris

Brailes, UK