Mystery cultivator

This forum is about the tools you use to service your Fordson tractor AND about the implements you use when out in the field with Ol' Blue.
blackbob
True Blue

Mystery cultivator

Post by blackbob »

Anyone know what this is? Obviously not a Ferguson, but I've never seen one with that style of legs?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ferguson-cult ... fresh=true

1440276 - 1957 - working
1335674 - err - one day..
Claeys combine M103 - 1963 703129 - working
Ford 7710 2wd, 1983 - working

The Fordson Tractor Pages. Built to be relied on.

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: Mystery cultivator

Post by oehrick »

There is another on at 200 quid Bob

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ferguson-Spri ... 2096346381

I thought the 'Dexion' drilled cross angles were a fergie feature but as they say hereabouts, thought followed a muck cart and thought it was a wedding :D
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

blackbob
True Blue

Post by blackbob »

Hmm I'm pretty sure Ransomes did a toolbar like that, with the holes, and David Brown too?

This one can't be far away from me, that's the attraction really as I already have a Fergie one. Guessing they all use the same points :?: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270739610447? ... EBIDX%3AIT
1440276 - 1957 - working

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Can't help Bob - one of the troubles this far down the years from manufacture, farmers being what they are, all sorts of cross fertilisation of parts results and you end up with a hybrid - do you remember that song of the chap who stole a car from the factory 'one piece at a time' over a number of years?, possibly Johnny Cash and a Chevrolet :scratchhead:

I'm as bad, having several Allen Scythes (and just been to see another hedgerow model today!) I called in at our local family run Agricultural emporium when I got the first to see what the chances of new blades were, 'well we can sometimes get them but at a price, if you are not worried about originality and don't mind re drilling the carrier these from a Deutz combine fit a treat' needless to say genuine blades are rare on my cutter bars now :clap:

Had you said you have B great lumps of stone in your ground ? if so those spring return tynes would be ideal :D
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

It looks a lot like a Fergi, but next picture is a fergi and there are some differences.

Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Yes but anyone could paint it grey & call it a Fergie Henk :wink:

I've seen a variety with perforated cross angles in cultivators and its a bit like Meccano, the hole spacing seems to be a proprietary thing - for those who have either had Meccano sets or Bowman oscillating steam engines as youngsters, Frank Hornby took Geoff Bowman Jenkins to court over the Bowman engine beds having holes drilled round the same size and spacing as on Meccano bits, he lost and later said what a lucky thing that had been as at the time they had not motorised their sets and sold loads to make things for Bowmans engines to power - not quite Henry Ford & Harry Ferguson.

None of which helps Bob with a positive identification - could you ask on the fergie & Ferret Fanciers Forum ?? or paste the picture into Google picture search & see what falls out ??
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

blackbob
True Blue

Post by blackbob »

There's obviously no ID plates left on it, otherwise the seller wouldn't be calling it a Ferguson.. Or maybe it is some prototype Ferguson, and I'm wrong...

He also has this interesting item for sale, I wonder what its history is? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FERGUSON-TRAC ... Sw9NdXvdVi

So why would you put a 23c engine into a TE20? Something serious gone wrong with the gearbox or backend of your 35, and a dead 20 lying among the nettles - make one runner out of 2? I don't know what else used that engine, apart from Allis-Chalmers - some forklift or compressor? Or is it some rare Ferguson prototype? Wonder if it still has the plate on it?

It isn't simply a diesel conversion of a petrol/TVO Fergy, because it is a diesel TEF20 gearbox (starter housing on the right).

Hmmm.... :)
1440276 - 1957 - working

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Why would you put a 23C engine in ANYTHING? :run:
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian