Fuddy-Duddy Corner - the Cock Pheasant

This forum is about the tools you use to service your Fordson tractor AND about the implements you use when out in the field with Ol' Blue.
blackbob
True Blue

Fuddy-Duddy Corner - the Cock Pheasant

Post by blackbob »

In an effort to re-live the happy times of my youth... one of my bad habits, is occasionally buying old brochures or instruction books off ebay, for old machines I either used to own, or used while helping my neighbours or uncles.

So the latest - is the Blanch-Lely tedder... :D

I used one of these behind a 4000 or 135 on the farm where I worked as a youth; I also briefly had one of my own, and I also used my neighbour's Flying Pheasant (mounted - somewhat heavy for a 135, taught me a lot about working carefully on hills).
Another neighbour had a blue thing similar - Nicholson? - and as I remember, many people had the combination of a Pheasant for tedding, and an Acrobat for rowing-up. Each machine could do either job, but each was better at one job than the other. And the Haybob/Hayzip etc, when they came along, could do both.
I'll give you the first couple of pages - there is, of course, a Major featured :D

1440276 - 1957 - working
1335674 - err - one day..
Claeys combine M103 - 1963 703129 - working
Ford 7710 2wd, 1983 - working

The Fordson Tractor Pages. Built to be relied on.

RH
True Blue

Re: Fuddy-Duddy Corner - the Cock Pheasant

Post by RH »

Hello Bob.

Does your name come from that little strip in the paper, of same name?....the one about the sheepdog?

My dad had a high opinion of the Cock Pheasant, though we never owned one. We had a Bamford "wuffler" and it did a decent job . When they came out, we got a PZ Haybob, and it was a grand machine I thought.
When we came to Canada in '84, it was back to wheel -rakes mainly, but I finally saved up and got a Kuhn 2 -wheel rotary rake, that worked more or less like the PZ.
Been a grand machine, and in 12 years have only broken 4 tines.

It runs a bit fast on the Fordson PM or FSM though, so I use it on a JD.
Grand picture there! I too like to gather/keep old brochures /manuals. Brings back memories of a saner age.... Life was Magic back then!