Ransomes Plough

This forum is about the tools you use to service your Fordson tractor AND about the implements you use when out in the field with Ol' Blue.
charlie63
True Blue

Ransomes Plough

Post by charlie63 »

Im new to ploughing and since my Dexta is nearly restored ive been looking at different ploughs for her to just have a bit of fun with and maybe the odd ploughing match.
There is a Ransomes TS54A , 2 furrow which is not too far from me been relisted on fleebay.
My question is should this plough be fitted with discs and skimmers as these are not on the plough. Also how important is it to have these fitted as I have seen ploughs with them and without them. Thanks for any advise.

Charlie.

blackbob
True Blue

Re: Ransomes Plough

Post by blackbob »

You mean this one perhaps? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ransomes-plou ... SwpuBZvsaR

The first thing to check is that it is category 1 pins - it's difficult to tell from here, and many Ransomes machines were designed for Majors [with bigger pins]

You can plough without skims - but you won't bury the surface vegetation properly, and the end result will look untidy. But to me, discs are optional, unless you're looking for a perfect finish!

Incidentally that looks like SCN or UCN bodies, and I think you should still be able to get points and shares for it, so I would say it would be a good choice - you could make other skims fit, not necessarily Ransomes either.
Last edited by blackbob on Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1440276 - 1957 - working
1335674 - err - one day..
Claeys combine M103 - 1963 703129 - working
Ford 7710 2wd, 1983 - working

The Fordson Tractor Pages. Built to be relied on.

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Bob,
Many thanks for your reply. That is the very plough I am looking at. Ive asked the question if it is Cat 1 or Cat 2 pins and waiting a reply. Its not an expensive plough so not expecting a lot and would be prepared to spend a bit of cash on it obviously to bring it up to standard. Ive posted a load of photos for your honest opinion if you wouldnt mind as the thing that is concerning me is that the cross shaft is bent ( See Photo 3 ). Is this easily removed and repairable by straightening in my press?? Appreciate your experienced input.

Regards
Charlie

Last edited by charlie63 on Wed May 02, 2018 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blackbob
True Blue

Post by blackbob »

I think these would be the points for that plough: https://www.spaldings.co.uk/replacement ... -point-r-h It's been a long time since I used a plough with those type of points but I think they're just about worn-out; maybe the shares too.

It's a cheap plough at the moment, you might find you're competing with people who fancy it for ploughng matches - although I don't think serious competitors like SCN bodies? (and they like to have a depth wheel, although that could be added)

The mouldboards still have a lot of life in them, as they wear they become razor-sharp at the back then gradually shorten, those are just at the 'sharp' stage :D

As for the bent shaft.... the plough has tangled with something seriously big to have bent that, I suppose it will straighten, but it makes me think those are cat 2 pins and the plough has been used with some big tractor, Major-size or bigger, perhaps doing some land-reclamation like my photo in Adrian's 'Ploughing' thread? That would also explain the lack of skims, they were possibly thrown off and are lying on some rocky hillside somewhere :lol: Just a guess. Nothing else looks twisted, looking from here at least. And the plough should still work, as it is, anyway; you would just have to wind the handle to get the plough to run straight, and the 2 furrows matched. Interesting that there is a spacer on the back furrow, you could remove to make the furrow narrower.

I wonder if this would fit? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ransomes-plou ... SwhfhZxCN1
And you'd need another one - or reduce one of your own with a grinder or lathe?
1440276 - 1957 - working

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Bob,
Many thanks for the information. It is Cat 2 pins that are fitted to it so your theory could be right in that it was used by a bigger tractor and for land reclamation. I thought that it must have come into contact with something big to bend the shaft. I have my eye on a set of Cat1 pins that should fit it okay. Im sure I could pick up skims at some point but I wont be in any hurry as ive still the tractor to complete first. That is interesting it has a spacer that can be removed to make the furrow narrower as well. Will keep you posted if I win it.

Regards
Charlie.

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Bob,
Just thought I would let you know that Ive managed to do a deal with the seller of the plough and pick it up at the weekend. Ive also ordered a manual for that specific plough which gives a parts list as well.
Now I am going to show my lack of knowledge on ploughs as I have only ploughed with a conventional 2 furrow dare I say it Fergie plough when my father was alive behind his Dexta about 20 years ago at a vintage ploughing match for a bit of fun. Must say I was well chuffed and got a second in the novice class lol.
When replacing the plough metal does it have to match the type of boards that are on the plough and I take it the boards should be stamped somewhere what type they are as you mentioned they look like SCN that are fitted. What does SCN mean and are there quite a variation of boards that can be fitted and does this depend on what kind of land you are ploughing.
Also with the skimmers missing do these have to match the boards as well and are there various types of skimmers. I saw these also listed on e-bay and are a bit expensive but wondered if they would fit or do they have to be specific to the TS54?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ransomes-plou ... Sw7ApZwoFE
Appreciate your help and advice.

Regards
Charlie.

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Questions on my TS54A plough now that I have it home and any advise appreciated. It is needing the points and shares replaced as Bob had pointed out on my previous post. Im unsure if it SCN bodies that are fitted and if anyone can verify for me that would be great. On the back of the board is stamped Ransomes and below that is I take it it is the original part number which is PBA3635K and below that Kristeel. Now I know as far as the boards are Kristeel but cannot find any reference to the part number on the internet at all. If they are SCN bodies can I use these in the vintage ploughing matches in the novice class?? The cross shaft is bent and the adjuster is seized but im sure I can get this off and make up a new shaft if it cant be straightened. It is fitted with Cat 2 ends but I won a Cat1 end on ebay which will fit and can be used as a template to maybe turn down the second one. I managed to find an illustration for all the body parts for SCN bodies on Westlakes site but all parts are numbered and no reference to what the numbers are. Appreciate any help.

Regards
Charlie.

blackbob
True Blue

Post by blackbob »

Hello again Charlie, sorry I haven't been on here for a couple of days, good that you've got the plough, we can feel the excitement in your posts :lol:

I don't know anything about the rules of match ploughing, I suggest you have a look on the Farming Forum, they have a whole sub-section on competitive ploughing https://thefarmingforum.co.uk/index.php ... ploughing/ with a lot of expert contributors.

Yes, different soils seem to favour different shapes of plough body, incidentally this is an excellent book https://www.amazon.co.uk/Good-Ploughing ... B004BJ87S8 it's A4 size and describes all aspects of ploughs and ploughing and it was published by Ransomes, so it's very relevant. There's some pages on match-ploughing in it too; I have a copy somewhere although I haven't seen it for a while...

Those skims look ok (expensive :shock: ) I haven't seen ones like that before, Ransomes reversible ploughs have round stems like that and you can adjust them laterally (there should be a long horizontal bolt through those little eyes, I wonder if they have been home-made, sawn-off reversible legs maybe?)
The skim bodies can rotate on the stem if you hit something, although it is possible to break them...

This was my plough with SCN barpoint bodies, the share and point are different but I would be 97% sure the board and shin are the same, these are Ransome skims although not the original (round-stem) ones. I thought all Ransomes skim shares were the same, with the little tail-piece which doesn't do much.. although the ones in your ebay listing look different?

PS ...and if you scroll down, you will see this also has a PBA part number: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wing-RH-repla ... 1260563810 (I think it would fit your plough - although you'll need another one!)

And PPS I know this isn't of much relevance at all.. but this is from my holiday job as a student in 1982, I well remember changing all those points, just like yours..
1440276 - 1957 - working

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Bob,
Many thanks for the reply. Love the pics. Ive only ploughed once and that was in the novice class as I have mentioned before with my fathers Dexta. Only got to drive tractors when I left school in the early 80"s. One was a John Deere 2140 2 wheel drive for carting off turnips for spreading out to the lambs and then picking off stones before seeding. My god that was back breaking but thought I was the bees knees driving that one. that was on the farm my uncle worked on just south of Stonehaven. The other one was when my other uncle lived up beside King Edward and got to drive his Massey 165 when we were checking the sheep.
Sorry for side tracking there a bit but the good lady is not happy with me as ive spent most of this afternoon on the internet trying to find out information on my plough. Interestingly ive got the book you have mentioned in my watch list on Ebay and another good book is seemingly Ransomes And Their Tractor Share Ploughs by Anthony Clare both of which I have put on my Christmas wish list from the kids lol.
I have been on Westlakes website and it does look like it is SCN boards that are fitted to the plough going by their picture and parts list.

I have sent them an email to ask for the price and availability on points and shares complete with fixing bolts.
The boards dont seem worn but as you mentioned just starting on the sharp side but I dont plan to do a lot of work with it so they should be okay.
Ive had a look at other TS54 ploughs and they seem to be fitted with discs and the skimmers then are fitted to an arm coming horizontally from the disc fitting.
Im not in any hurry so will just bide my time and see if anything comes up on Ebay.
As for the crosshaft I think I may be able to get a new one made up as its nothing special but the frame brackets that the crosshaft runs through are worn so these will need repairing as well.
The seller that I won the Cat1 end from has listed another one so that would be handy if I can get that one as well. Its in my watch list.
Will keep you posted on my progress but probably wont get much done now for another 4 weeks.

Regards
Charlie.
Last edited by charlie63 on Wed May 02, 2018 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blackbob
True Blue

Post by blackbob »

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with Westlake, or indeed any of the folks selling 'Ransomes' parts on eBay, but if you're in any doubt, it should be possible to remove one of the points from your plough and take it somewhere that you can compare and buy them 'off the shelf'? Ransomes were closely associated with Ford and I'm sure your local Ford (now CNH, Case New Holland) dealer would be able to help, certainly Ravenhill stock Ransomes parts here; what about giving these guys a phone? http://www.fifetractors.com/history/ Just a thought..
1440276 - 1957 - working

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Bob,
Thanks for the advise. By the way was that a Lamborghini tractor you were ploughing with?
I worked with Agricar at Laurencekirk a good few years ago and know the storeman there and also have a New Holland dealer only 15 minutes away at McMerry just south of Edinburgh so it would be worthwhile taking the points and shares to them to see if they can match them up.
I just couldnt resist heading up to the workshop today as my bag and all that is already packed. Managed to get the CAT2 ends removed from the crosshaft and removed the crosshaft retaining brackets which one of them is well worn. I then got the crosshaft off the plough. The crosshaft adjuster is seized solid but im sure I will be able to free it off and give it a good grease. I even managed a trip to my local machine shop and they are going to straighten the crosshaft for me and make up a new bracket at a very reasonable cost whilst I am away. :D :D

Seized adjuster removed for freeing off.

Bent crosshaft removed for straightening and new retaining bracket to be manufactured.

Cat2 ends which will be going on Ebay on my return.

Regards
Charlie.
Last edited by charlie63 on Wed May 02, 2018 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

I have manage to pick up a set of discs and skimmers for the plough and trial fitted to see what it looks like. Heres hoping they do the job.

Crosshaft strightened and new end bracket manufactured by my local engineering firm whilst I was away.

Crosshaft adjuster all freed off, cleaned and greased.

Points and shares removed and new ones ordered from Spaldings as recommended by Bob.

All in all happy with the progress so far but this is an expensive hobby and maybe just as well I have a slush fund that the good lady doesnt know about lol.
Last edited by charlie63 on Wed May 02, 2018 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

blackbob
True Blue

Post by blackbob »

Was that you in all the newspapers here last week, along with Prince Charles and Mrs Brown's boys? :lol:

That plough is already 50-60 years old - it is now ready for another 50 years, I wouldn't think a little Dexta will be able to break it ..

What kind of soil have you got? If you have either tough clay, or sandy soil, you won't need to bother cleaning up those boards, they will be shiny after an acre or so. Peaty soil would be more difficult, sticky, you might need to grind off the rust with a grinder or sander.

Looking good - I wish I was there. Ploughing is my favourite job!
1440276 - 1957 - working

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

God damn it Bob my cover has been blown lol.

Due to me being impatient it has cost me more than it should. While I was away I sent 2 emails to Westlake enquiring about parts and never received a reply so in my wisdom purchased a pair of disc assemblies with one disc missing thinking I could get a disc for it and purchasing a cracking pair of skimmers form another seller all off Fleebay. Then just as my luck always goes the seller that I purchased the disc assemblies from lists a cracking set set of discs and skimmers complete so dipped into the slush fund and decided to purchase them. Thats the ones that are fitted in the photo. Now I have a spare pair of skimmers as well as disc assemblies minus 1 disc. Also have the Cat2 ends that the plough came with.
Im hoping after all of this I can make a half decent job ploughing lol.
I was told today that there is a field that the ground is quite sandy that I can have a play around in once I have it finished so hoping that could clean up my boards. If not it will have to be a flapper wheel to try and clean them up.
I am looking forward to getting it out to play but might have to wait till I get my new tyres on the Dexta.

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

New points and shares arrived today and fitted. Had a little while with the flapper wheel on the front mouldboard to try and clean it up. Looks like it might clean up not too bad even though there are a few pits in it.

Didnt realise that the points were so worn until I put the old one alongside the new one.

Last edited by charlie63 on Wed May 02, 2018 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

hey charlie,
looks like you are making good progress with the plough.
Where did you ordered the new parts?
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Thanks Mathias.
I got my new points and shares from https://www.spaldings.co.uk/. They have a great stock of parts and were very helpful.

Regards
Charlie.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Charlie, your plough is coming on nicely, cant wait to see pictures/video of it turning its first sod behind your Dexta.

Regards
Mervyn

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Mervyn,
Im hoping to get it tried out this week weather permitting before heading off back to Angola. Just waiting on a few bolts to turn up to finish it off. If its too wet im just going to leave it just now as I need to get my new rear rims painted so as the paint has plenty of time to harden for fitting the new tyres next time home.

Last edited by charlie63 on Wed May 02, 2018 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Had the plough out for a play this afternoon. Well happy with how it performed but the heavens opened so stopped play lol.

Not quite match material and thought not bad for a start after 20 years absent from ploughing. A little bit of adjustment to even up the furrows as too much to the landward side and a small lengthen of the top link to give the second furrow a bit more depth and think it would look not too bad.

Last edited by charlie63 on Wed May 02, 2018 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Well done Charlie, not too bad as a start. I'm sure those little tweaks will give you100% result.

blackbob
True Blue

Post by blackbob »

Great! You're nearly there. Yes the front furrow is a bit too big, but you've buried all the grass, and you don't appear to have had any wheelslip?

And it looks nice soil, obviously not sticking to the plough so you'll soon have it polished up.

If it was me I might try going a bit deeper but that is an obsession of mine, I just don't like compacted soil. It is traditional here to plough grassland quite shallow so that the organic matter isn't buried too deep; then go a bit deeper next time when the next crop in the rotation might be turnips/swedes grown on ridges.

We will await the next session...
1440276 - 1957 - working

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Thanks Mervyn and Bob.
Im sure with a few tweaks I should have it set up properly. I was getting very little wheel slip even with my bald tyres Bob. Once I have the new tyres on I will be trying to get a bit deeper and the discs and skims seem to be doing there job as well since the grass seems to be well buried but to be honest the estate are not too bothered how well ploughed it is as it is only game crop that will be planted for cover for the pheasants.
Ive removed the back wheels from the tractor now to get the new rims and centre discs all painted up and hopefully have the new tyres fitted when I get back from Angola.
Once they are fitted Im hoping to get back out and finish off the plot. The ground seems to be perfect for cleaning up the boards as they are starting to shine up already so they should be nice and shiny by the time I finish.

Charlie.

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Well ive been having another play with my plough and feel ive got it pretty well set up now. The estate let me into a stuble field which is going to be ploughed over later on. Only problem I encountered is the combine seemed to leave very long stuble which in parts I was unable to bury properly. Suppose it would be no problem to these big machines they have now a days.So heres hoping I can get in to some ploughing matches next year for a bit of fun. She is all cleaned up,greased and set away for the winter now.

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Nice plough and plough work.
Maybe the use of skimmers will improve the burying of the stuble.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I