Wanted - PM2 Plough for my Dexta

This forum is about the tools you use to service your Fordson tractor AND about the implements you use when out in the field with Ol' Blue.
MikesDexta
True Blue

Wanted - PM2 Plough for my Dexta

Post by MikesDexta »

I am looking for a PM2 two furrow plough for my Fordson Dexta if anybody has one for sale?
1959 Dexta
I'm not retired just re-deployed

charlie63
True Blue

Re: Wanted - PM2 Plough for my Dexta

Post by charlie63 »

Mike,
Westlake are selling one listed on E-bay. They are pretty expensive for their stuff and not sure if you are willing to pay what they are asking and if its exactly what you are looking for.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw ... M&_sacat=0

Regards,
Charlie

blackbob
True Blue

Post by blackbob »

What about this? Looks like a Massey or more probably Ferguson to me, but it would suit your Dexta: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ransomes-2-Fu ... Sw7ApZ2iAl
1440276 - 1957 - working
1335674 - err - one day..
Claeys combine M103 - 1963 703129 - working
Ford 7710 2wd, 1983 - working

The Fordson Tractor Pages. Built to be relied on.

MikesDexta
True Blue

Post by MikesDexta »

Thanks both, #
I've seen both of the above and the first is outside my budget and I think somewhat over-priced for the condition. I thought at first the second one may have been a PM2 minus the depth wheel and with EPIC boards but I think it could be a Fergie. Pardon my ignorance here - I'm very new to ploughing but really want to learn. I think I need a general purpose plough as my paddock soil isn't heavy but the plough does need to bury topped weeds (mainly nettle, thistle, buttercup).

In my naivety I was sold this 2 furrow reversible plough below that a local dealer bought at an auction. I think its a belgian plough from the 70's but anyway a local farmer I know very well said it was a semi-digger and probably too heavy for my Dexta. I haven't tried it yet but if you agree it wouldn't cope I will sell it and buy a PM or similar that is more of a match for my 1959 Dexta.
ImageCharrues Melotte 4 by Michael Jones, on Flickr
ImageCharrues Melotte Name Plate by Michael Jones, on Flickr

Can anybody confirm if this is a Belgian Plough and as a make is it any good? Is my friend correct that the Dexta wouldn't cope with the weight of this?

thanks Mike
1959 Dexta

blackbob
True Blue

Post by blackbob »

My first reaction would have been to agree with your friend, it is too big for a little Dexta.
But while looking through old magazines to find info on Melotte, I found the photo at the bottom of this article:

The plough here is of course a Ransomes, but it can't be so very different to your Melotte, and the tractor only has inner front wheel weights..

So I don't know. I've never seen a Melotte so have no experience of them. But it looks ok, it doesn't look especially heavy, and it should work. The skims are the important part for burying rubbish, you don't have discs, but I don't think you often need them.

As an aside, if you have nettles, docks, couch-grass and stuff like that, I would strongly recommend you get someone to spray the pasture with Roundup before ploughing. Even the best of ploughing will not kill perennial weeds like those. Or at least spot-spray the worst patches with a knapsack sprayer.
1440276 - 1957 - working

MikesDexta
True Blue

Post by MikesDexta »

Thanks Bob yes I've watched a Youtube video of a New Performance Dexta pulling a reversible plough here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWXhBt8qNHA&t=23s It seems to cope very well and I couldn't spot an inner wheel weights but I guess the increased HP helps!

I'm currently re-assembling the rear axles and fitting new brakes so will soon be up and running. Spent today trying to remove a broken inner stud on one axle that looks as if it was snapped some time ago. It chewed two stud removers (Hilka from Screwfix - took them back as they're rubbish) and when I tried a better quality set the extractor screwed in perfectly but the stud wouldn't budge so I ended up drilling it out.

Any idea what this plough is? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9glMX9mziw&t=83s

Thanks for the advice on weed killer, I've tried using a pack pack and Graze-on but it only knocked them back and they've come back now we have a local chap who is licensed to use the stronger stuff so I will get him to do it.

regards
Mike
1959 Dexta

blackbob
True Blue

Post by blackbob »

The plough in the first video is a Ransomes, the second might be a Newlands, but I think it is a Sellar, an Aberdeenshire machinery maker in the 19th and 20th centuries, still in existence but nowadays a Claas machinery dealer. Those cast-iron legs were unbreakable, the first plough I used as a 15-year-old was a single-furrow Sellar behind a diesel Ferguson, the Fergie could have easily pulled it in 2nd gear but in our stony soil, I didn't dare..

I hope you get your plough working soon, I wouldn't have any worries about horsepower or traction but it's just the weight and keeping the front wheels on the ground, especially while working? Remember we need pictures!
1440276 - 1957 - working

MikesDexta
True Blue

Post by MikesDexta »

Well I found my PM2! - I decided to sell the Melotte after too many people said my Dexta wouldn't handle it. Here it is:

Image20180403_154848[1] by Michael Jones, on Flickr

Image20180403_154829[1] by Michael Jones, on Flickr

It needs a bit of work as there are a couple of dings on the shares but it was a good price and perfectly usable on my paddock for me to learn how to plough. Then on to ploughing matches!

cheers

Mike
1959 Dexta

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Great looking Plough. :clap:
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

I have used a PM behind my petrol Dexta for many years. Only problem I had was the pins were Cat 2 and the Dexta is Cat 1. I bought a set of lift arms from an aftermarket supplier and they worked but kept bending.

I found my first TS1013 Robin and eventually got it repaired and re-assembled, used it a couple of years with very good results until some scum nicked it, I now have another one from Westlake, not badly priced at all and in very good condition.

My friend and I did have a single furrow Ransomes reversible with hydraulic turnover which was a great plough behind Dotty but his widow sold it to someone else when he died.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

MikesDexta
True Blue

Post by MikesDexta »

A local agricultural engineering company has offered to weld cat 2 ends onto my lift arms. One of them already has a badly welded cat 1 end so they will grind this off and weld the cat 2 properly. They can supply cat 1 bushes for my topper etc. although I could fit cat 2 pins to these as they are bolt-ons.

Brian, where can I get hold of a manual for the PM2?

many thanks

Mike
1959 Dexta

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Was it known as anything other than the PM2 Mick ?

I've had a quick look on the MERL Database with no hits, but it may be they have not digitised the book of destructions

Try here http://www.reading.ac.uk/adlib/search/advanced

If no result, drop them an email or ring, they are busy but extremely helpful folk and have the deposited archives for Ransomes in most of its incarnations, the online search has, strangely, not picked up several things I know for a fact they had available before I had broadband.

Have fun with it and delighted to hear Brian is no longer ploughless in the work disturbing season, Adrian is quiet, he muat have already made a start.

Rick
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The PM plough comes in four different forms.

PM2A .. Two furrow, 10" furrow width.
PM2B .. Two furrow, 12" furrow width.
PM3A .. Three furrow, 10" furrow width,
PM3B .. Three furrow, 12" furrow width.

As you can see from this there is no way to change the furrow width because the legs are part of the main plough beam.
You will find the skimmer arms have a unique and peculiar cotter pin arrangement for holding them in place and adjusting them. Not the best idea and can drop out if you get a buildup of trash and soil between the skimmer and the disc. I am drilling mine to put a pin through the square end where it comes through the holder.

You will find the plough is a bit short when you do your opening furrow and you cannot really do a single cut with the rear furrow without the front furrow being in contact with the soil. That can be frowned on by judges if you are in competitions. (Perhaps that is why I have not won many). :cry: :cry: :cry:

You can pick up a copy of "Good Ploughing" a Ransomes book, on e-bay. I picked up a copy of the parts list but not found a handbook yet. "Good Ploughing" should give you all the information you need.

Dotty with the single furrow reversible.

Dotty and the PM2B with EPIC bodies.

Regarding the weight of the plough, we had a customer who ploughed with a TS82 reversible behind a Dexta. That was a far heavier plough than your Melotte.

Henrietta doing openings with the same plough.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

MikesDexta
True Blue