ransome ts 80

This forum is about the tools you use to service your Fordson tractor AND about the implements you use when out in the field with Ol' Blue.
gordon5a
Not Quite Blue Yet

ransome ts 80

Post by gordon5a »

i have a ransomes ts 80 reversible plough that has recently bought, it is in need of restoring, the crossshaft was seized in the headstock, i have freed this up but i cannot get the plough to turnover properly, there is a rod in the turnover mechanism that is bending when i try to turn the plough, there is a ratchet type pawl in the mechanism this was also seized i have got this freed up also but plough is still not turning over can anyone help me with this

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: ransome ts 80

Post by mathias1 »

you probably need to "load" the plough.
Put it on the ground, drive a tiny bit and you will see the crossshaft will turn a little. Then you can lift the plough and use the handle to turn it. I will see If I can upload the manual of my tsr 107. I think it's the same mechanism.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

gordon5a
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by gordon5a »

ok i have a book for it, this is the first reversible plough i have had and it has needed a bit of work, there is a ratchet pawl in the turnover mechanism this was seized, i have got this freed off and will try it again on the tractor, it is an international 584 that i am using this on and it struggles to lift it high enough for the plough to turn over without hitting the ground, how will this work for ploughing as it is close to 23inches from the tip of the point to inside of the back tyre am i right in thinking this should be 12", i would need to keep the centre of the tractor on top of the previous furrow for it to plough properly?

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Gordon,

sorry for the delay. here's my book: http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/pdf/R ... %20107.pdf
You will need to get your plough as high as possible, sometimes it can help by driving the front wheel in the furrow and then hit the handle to turn the plough.
Can you make a picture of your setup?

gordon5a
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by gordon5a »

i have a book for mine its a ts 80 the turnover linkage is slightly different, there is a ratchet pawl in the mechanism this was seized i freed it up but it has made no difference, the connecting rod is starting to bend when you trip the plough, it needs to go over centre but the linkage wont allow, there are clips on youtube of this plough but they have a different linkage setup on the turnover they are similar to the one in your book, was this a common problem on these, the forum wont let me insert pictures

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

we use https://postimages.org/ to upload the pictures and host them here.

gordon5a
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by gordon5a »

blackbob
True Blue

Post by blackbob »

Did you see that there are YouTube videos of a plough like yours, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CNIHuBOPB4 and did they help you? He seems to be taking an enormous furrow, both deep and wide, so your measurement may well be right. I would think he has his 135's wheels at 56" centres, or maybe less, so that would be the first thing I would check. The Massey 65 in your photos looks about right.

I had a 2-furrow 84 and then a 102 which were basically the same, with the same turnover mechanism, which is slightly different to yours. Can you give us a close-up photo of the front of the plough? That rod pointing forwards is part of the turnover mechanism and should be attached to something, but I can't see the part where I would have expected it to be attached to.

I used my 102 with an International 475 which is very similar to your 584 and it worked fine, so I don't think the tractor is your problem. If it doesn't lift high enough you should be able to shorten the lift rods.

Sorry I can't be more help, I haven't used or even seen, a Ransomes single-furrow reversible, but I get the feeling there are some parts missing from the front of your plough.
1440276 - 1957 - working
1335674 - err - one day..
Claeys combine M103 - 1963 703129 - working
Ford 7710 2wd, 1983 - working

The Fordson Tractor Pages. Built to be relied on.

gordon5a
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by gordon5a »

i have got the turnover linkage working ok now after a bit of work, have got the lift rods sorted on the tractor, the lh arm had no thread left on the adjuster screw so i had to cut it off and weld a new bit in, just need to get the boards cleaned up with flap discs on the small grinder and it should be ready to try out, if it works reasonably well then i will get new points and shins for it