PLOUGH TYPE?

This forum is about the tools you use to service your Fordson tractor AND about the implements you use when out in the field with Ol' Blue.
MikeR
Not Quite Blue Yet

PLOUGH TYPE?

Post by MikeR »

Hi have aquired a 3f plough it has a serial number 10AE A7804 stamped in one place. on the front plough beam(?) if thats what its called
10 inch moldboards plus extensions & coulters/ skimmers etc its missing the furrow wheel coulter and scraper - the arm is there.
It also has a rachet adjustement lever for the front crosshaft.
Can anyone confirm what it is - the code indicates F******n given the little i know. Can anyone tell me more about it etc is it "rated" as a good plough? i presume it was reasonably common any idea how you tell an uprated 2f from a 3 f if thats what it is? any suggestions as to replacement furrow wheel etc
Thanks
Mike

jambug123
True Blue

Post by jambug123 »

yes it is a fergy plough 10inch ley bodies, it will have a bolt on 3rd furrow attachment which can be un bolted to make a 2 furrow.
it has front furrow width adjustment which is what the rachet is. the furrow wheel you will have to get from a breakers, they are ok as long as the tractor has draft/Qualitrol as the plough has no depth wheel. good plough to start with.
i have a fergy 2 furrow plough in the shed as i have upgraded to a Ransomes TS54A which is ideal for a dexta.
but they say Fordson/Ransomes And Fergy/ferguson plough they are a matched combination.

Regards
James

MikeR
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MikeR »

thanks for that - i have ordered a book/ manual on f****Y plows so that will hopefully tell me a bit more how to set it up etc.
What does the furrow wheel do - is it a basic support i.e a land wheel in effect or does it smooth the furrow or simelar.

Never been near a plough before luckily we have a field i can play on - although the boss is not happy with the prospect of my experiments turning it "all muddy and brown" so its likely to be the naughty step for me in due course.
Mike

jambug123
True Blue

Post by jambug123 »

the furrow wheel stops the plough from shifting to the right when in work just like the long landslides on ransomes ploughs.
3 furrows will be a bit much for a dexta in some conditions, you can get new points and it is best to set the plough up with new ones so every furrow will be cut the same.
the discs should be a hand width above the share and a 1/2 an inch to the landside.
Tractor wheel widths set to 52inch on the back and 48 on the front if you have 19inch wheels.
make sure all tail pieces and mould boards are parellel.
if you convert to 2 furrows remove the bodie from the 3rd furrow and bolt it to the second furrow and remove the 3rd furrow frame.

Regards
James

MikeR
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MikeR »

Looks like its going to be a bit of fun! I think the points are pretty good i got it from a chap who had only one field for veg so it has not been over used in the last 15 yrs by him at least. he got it and a dexta from a guy who did ploughing competions in cornwall so i think its been looked after then just not used. If anyone wants a dexta his will be for sale he has had it for ages - been repainted inthe past but all the bits are there inc lights and the tinwork inc mudguards was immaculate. Has a odd seat by my reckoning very pronounced "pommel" and quite small and cupped compared to the usual and the bend of the support stay wasa visible - if anyone is interested i have his number.
I will let you know how i get on as a very novice novice, thank you for all the tips. I am getting quite excited which is probably worrying!!
Mike