Flail mower on Super Dexta

This forum is about the tools you use to service your Fordson tractor AND about the implements you use when out in the field with Ol' Blue.
AlexB
Not Quite Blue Yet

Flail mower on Super Dexta

Post by AlexB »

I have been using a kuboto 1.2m (4 ft in real money) flail mower on my Super Dexta, for cutting/topping rushes on my land.

Is there a recommended speag / gearing for optimum efficiency ?

I have found that 1st, low ratio seems to work well, as the rushes are thick and 2ft tall.

Would folk concur with that or should it be able to handle 2nd ?

A final question - where would I be able to find a manual for this mower please? It must need lubrication somewhere, but I don't know what where or how much

thanks

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Re: Flail mower on Super Dexta

Post by Jerry Coles »

So long as you maintain the correct PTO speed then it depends on what the material is your cutting will determine the ground speed. I have cut general weeds on a plot for my neighbour who is self isolating and found that some parts it was Low 1st and others it was High 1st so just listen to how the engine is labouring really. Get in tune with your exhaust note! IMHO :)
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

kiwiland dexta
True Blue

Post by kiwiland dexta »

Re lubrication, flail mowers I have used require oil for the gearbox - there is usually a filler plug on top of the gearbox and an oil level check plug on the side - you remove the check plug and if oil seeps out it is full enough. Use gear grade oil. Sometimes it is necessary to remove a safety cover to access the gearbox.

The central shaft the flails fit to should have a bearing each end with a grease nipple.

PTO shafts usually have a grease nipple on each end inside the yoke, you will have to turn the shaft until the nipples are accessible. Easier when not attached to the tractor. It is wise to slide the two parts of the shaft apart and grease the inside to allow free movement as the mower rises and falls with the terrain and the linkage.

Grease - two full pumps from grease gun.

Don't work on a raised mower, it can't fall on you from ground level!

Our mowers get this treatment daily but they are doing 8 hour days.

Happy mulching.
Derek.
you know it's a classic when people stop to watch.

AlexB
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by AlexB »

many thanks