simms pump front seal

This forum is about the tools you use to service your Fordson tractor AND about the implements you use when out in the field with Ol' Blue.
John b
True Blue

simms pump front seal

Post by John b »

Hi all, just changed the front seal on my simms pump and had to hold the 4 plunger springs up to release pressure on the cam. Found a couple of old major piston rings in the scrap bin and broke them up into bits, 4 pieces of piston ring stacked up are perfect for holding the plunger springs up to release the cam. Hardly a ground breaking discovery i know, but it might help someone!

Last edited by John b on Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: simms pump front seal

Post by Billy26F5 »

Good simple way of avoiding a huge pump overhaul just to change the seal. Hope the timing isn't affected.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Hi Sandy, doesn't seem to have affected it. Rebuilt the engine with new liners, rings and shells. Had to replace one of the pistons but the other 3 were good, the crank was good and within tolerance. Fitted new valve guides and injector nozzles and set the pop pressures, fired straight up but clouds of white smoke. After spending ages trying to get the timing set right i managed to get hold of another pump, fitted it and the white smoke stopped. The pump front seal was completely shredded so i changed it and now the old girl runs like a swiss watch, no smoke of any colour
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Thanks for sharing John b :clap:
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I