Steering wheel removal

This forum is about the tools you use to service your Fordson tractor AND about the implements you use when out in the field with Ol' Blue.
John b
True Blue

Steering wheel removal

Post by John b »

Had a very stubborn steering wheel to remove but didn't want to destroy it so i came up with this (may be a common way to do it, i don't know). Soaked it in penetrating oil for a day, then got a large set of 3 leg pullers and removed the legs. Cut a piece of rubber pipe for each of the bolts that hold the legs so the thread didn't bite into the back of the steering wheel and attached it to the spokes. Wind it up and if it still doesn't budge give the nut on top of the pullers a crack with a hammer (but don't stand above it just in case it flies off!). This worked on a wheel that as far as i know hadn't been of in nearly 70 years
John

My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Steering wheel removal

Post by Billy26F5 »

Superb tool John. Our wheels are all free, so no trouble with that. That Major looks like a late one (judging from the late battery tray and late pre-cleaner).
Sandy
ImageImageImage

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Not sure what age it is, its the donor Major with no engine and wrecked gearbox and hydraulics. I'll find some casting codes and get you to date it if thats ok with you
John
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Thanks very much John.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

The steering wheel almost feels like its rubber, i've not seen one like it on a Major before. Is it just degraded or was there a different type of wheel used? I've seen the early aluminium wheel and the standard bakelite one but this one feels alot thicker than normal
John

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

It does look different, but Ford only used aluminium and Bakelite coverings, it could either be a replacement covering or a replacement steering wheel. It looks like it's the right size, so I would say it has been covered in a different material after loosing it's original covering, but I'm not at all sure about that.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

I think this style of wheel was used in between the aluminium and more common bakelite type. We have a couple of diesel majors which have had this type fitted.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

It must have been used very briefly, as I think I still know more aluminium ones. By far the easiest to find even from pretty early on was the Bakelite one, which lasted till the end, and for even longer on Ebro tractors.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

shepp
True Blue

Post by shepp »

I think Roadless63 is right, I have seen this type of wheel with this type of centre boss before on 1951 and very early 1952 Majors.

Another trick after attaching the puller is to gently heat the centre boss with an electric heat gun after applying tension with the screw, when it's ready the wheel will spring off the shaft.
1946 E27N, 1952 Major Diesel, 1959 Power Major, 1962 Dexta, 1962 Super Dexta, 1963 Super Dexta NP, 1964 Super Major NP, 1965 Super Dexta 3000, 1966 Major 4000, 1967 3000 PF, 1994 5640,plus Basildon built NH.

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

That's a good tip with the heat gun Shepp, certainly kinder on the steering box than me giving the puller a belt with a hammer!