Bush Hog

This forum is about the tools you use to service your Fordson tractor AND about the implements you use when out in the field with Ol' Blue.
NT
Not Quite Blue Yet

Bush Hog

Post by NT »

I have a 58 new major and was looking at getting a new bush hog. The 5ft is just to small for it. I cut alot of heavy grass and small trees up to about 1.5". I was wondering in these kind of conditions what size bush hog would be best for it to have on it. I like to be able to mow in atleast 3rd mostly 4th. Thanks

Jimbo
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Bush Hog

Post by Jimbo »

Hi NT,I have 3 super majors,2 of them i use for mowing, like you do. I use a J.D.1508 ---15' mower on one and a 10' bush hog on the other. Both tractors have live p.t.o.,Set mower up so it can be raised via the hydraulics when mowing gets heavy ,don't forget no matter how wide a mower you put on it ,you can mow only 5 or 6 , 7 or 8 feet AFTER your 1st cut then when the mowing gets easier you I can mow full width. Good luck,let me know how you make out. Jimbo

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

I have a 7ft Woods mower on my Power Major. The front is light in the raised position but the tractor runs it well. My personal opinion is that a 6 foot Bush hog would be ideal for a Fordson Major Diesel if you are cutting heavy brush. A front end loader, or weights on the front would help with a wider and heavier mower. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi Id go with the 6ft and make sure its a heavy duty as well some of the cheap ones wont take much abuse :wink: .

I have a heavy duty 6ft on my super and if she gets some ft tall wet grass in it she barks like a dog smokes like a steam train and plods on 8) .
Like Dave said a bit of weight on the front would be a good idea as mines light too, but it steers nice without power steering :wink:.
The other thing i would check is all the linkage parts as heavy mowers can pull the drop and top link threads or break the top arms or pins or any castings that are cracked or badly worn :wink: .
I had the top of the leveling box on my power major shear when I used that for mowing, But have had no problems with the super in 10 years :) ( our mower is real long and heavy I converted it from Trailed to 3 point), but have seen more than a few welded parts in my time :cry: .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.