Another Project

Want to share something off-topic? This is where to put it.
JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Another Project

Post by JC »

I really don't need another project, but I couldn't let this one go to the scrap yard.

I'm not sure yet, but I may just get it running again and sell it to someone who has the time to restore it. I'd really like to keep it, but a guy only has so much spare time!

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Looks a beaut, what is it :?:
Good luck with the project :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi JC,

I am green with envy, that is one very nice looking project. If I owned it, good working order and the rest left as is would suit me fine. I like my machines to have their working clothes on. Pity you are on the other side of the world and I am having trouble finding room for all the machines I all ready own, otherwise I might be tempted to make an offer.

All other comments aside, I am glad you saved it from the scrap yard, even if you don't keep it, I am sure it will go to a good home.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

To have a guess as to what it is, I would say a "Diamond T" vehicle.

Mervyn

Kiwi Kev

Post by Kiwi Kev »

JC
What a beauty :lol:
It looks like a 'Mack' truck to me.

Next thing you will have to bring home is a big shed, to put all these extra 'projects' in.
Least you will never die young. You've got too many things to do before you'll be allowed to go :lol:
Look forward to hearing what it is.

Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

JC

Post by JC »

Kev and Mervyn, you are very close. Mack and Diamond T trucks of the same vintage looked very similar. It's a 1952 International RDF 405 "West Coaster". It has a 220 horse power Cummins diesel engine, 5-speed main transmission, and a 4-speed auxiliary. Both rear axles drive, not just a single drive with a tag axle. It has air brakes and power steering. It was quite a truck in its time! These trucks were very popular here, especially for log trucks and dump trucks. This one was a log truck, until the previous owners put a flat bed on it and used it for a hay truck. There was nothing wrong with it when it was parked, so it should run again, if I change the fuel filters and put some new batteries in it.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi JC

Have you worked out what model cummins engine she has. Where I work we had a cummins 1105 as a genset. What a buitiful roar she had when started up. Thereafter she would just purr along producing up to 320kva of power.

Good luck with your new toy and enjoy.

Mervyn

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by BarryM »

Hi JC,

I have a photo of an International RDF 405 and it is stated as having a 300 HP Cummins NHRBS-600 engine. Originally it could have been purchased with a Fuller or Spicer Transmission and an Eaton or Timken Rear Axles. GCW was 76800lbs, had a frame 10" deep, exterior air cleaner mounted on the right side of the cab, and optional oil cooler on the left hand side. Tyres 10.00x20 and wheels were the optional disc type.

The rear half of the cab appears to be the same as used on the R190-R200 series.

Have fun with the restoration.
BarryM

JC

Post by JC »

Mervyn and Barry,

The engine is an NH-220, which is 743 cubic inches, naturally aspirated, with 220 HP. The NHRBS 600 was also 743 cu. in. , but it had a blower and put out 300 HP. The guys that used to drive trucks with that engine said that they were really loud.
I'm not sure who made the transmissions and differentials, yet.
The cab does look like an R-190 cab, but I think the cowl is longer. I hope that they're the same. My cab needs new back corners and I know where there's an R-190 cab on a junk truck that I can probably cut the corners out of.
Aussie Frank wrote:I am green with envy, that is one very nice looking project.
We're even now, Frank. Some of your projects make me a little envious, too. One in particular...