Reliant Robin

Want to share something off-topic? This is where to put it.
Dandy Dave
True Blue

Reliant Robin

Post by Dandy Dave »

How many of you on that side of the pond had anything to do with one of these??? :shock: .... A flipping experiance, eh mate. Say, set me back on my wheels. Eh govenor. :lol: Dandy Dave!

http://www.wimp.com/reliantrobin/
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

YorkshireDextaMan
True Blue

Post by YorkshireDextaMan »

:clap: LoL. So am wondering you may not have seen that classic "Ony fools and Horses" and off course Top Gear.
But lots of Robins were converted to Trikes, a poor mans version of the Honda Trikes. Jim
Fordson Dexta, Barn Door Technology at it's best.

shergar
True Blue

Post by shergar »

also known as the plastic pig for obvious reasons .
somewhere there's one with a rover v8 where the back seats were :shock:
i love driving tractors me!

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Re;Reliant Robin

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

Should Dandy Dave get "Only Fools and Horses" on DVD? :rofl:
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900

Frans
True Blue

Post by Frans »

Yes i know them too (liked that Top Gear episode) My sisters boyfriend granddad (also my fomer neighbour) had one of those and yes ... they crased too with it just like jazzo
regards Frans

who's afraid off blue orange and grey
1960 Power Major Roadless 6 cyl conversion
1964 NP Super Major

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

The Plastic Pig... :rofl: It is a wonder any have survived to even make it to a get together. Cars and Drivers. I suppose if you were a very slow and conservitive driver, you could have maintained and retained a surviver. I'm glad our Fordsons are of Rolls quality and not Robins. :) Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

YorkshireDextaMan
True Blue

Post by YorkshireDextaMan »

Ha you see, the Robin was an aquired taste, :D , Some loved em and some just laughed. But infact they were not that bad, (It's clear the the "Top Gear" Robin has had it's anti roll bar and shocks disconected, they did roll , and has it happens i rode shotgun with a mate hundreds of miles in one, and it never rolled.
And this was in the seventys when every other car had gone back to nature, (rust) and! and she was a veteran then.
Reliant also made the Robin inhouse, was a Reliant built engine, Reliant did build a four wheel version but by then people were getting better off and were buying cars.
Think they also built a sports car,

Just don't go down a rutted track with one, :)
Fordson Dexta, Barn Door Technology at it's best.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

There was the Regal, which I think is the one in Only Fools and Horses, and the Rialto as well.

The original engine was based on the Austin 7 of the 1930's. an 8hp side valve (flat head).

Interesting experience to put one over an open pit in the garage, to work on. :cry:

The flash car of the 1970's was the Bug.

http://www.bondbug.com/buggallery/index.php

Who needs a GT40!
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Mike Kuscher
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Mike Kuscher »

Oh the memories.

I had a Regal, the fore runner of the Robin.
Got it from a scrap yard, when money was tight, and rebuilt it 'from the floor up'.
Simple chassis, easy to repair or replace.
The exhaust could be easily refabricated from electrical conduit and empty bean cans (Oh yes I did !).

Although they are referred to as 'glass fibre' this is not strictly true.
The resin used was the same, but instead of 'glass matting' as a base, to cut costs, they used a base of chopped straw. That's why they burn so well. :D

Easy to work on. The whole body was bolted to the chassis with a total of just 14 bolts. The original 600cc aluminium engine was actually based on the engine for an early portable fire pump (I forget the name at the moment).
Very economical on petrol. Cheap to tax, as a motorcycle with side car (motorcycle combination). Cheap to insure as well.

Don't believe what you see on the videos.
To roll over like that, they will have removed the shock absorbers and the balancing arm from the front single wheel. (I still have the Reliant workshop manual if any one is interested).

The 4 wheel version of the Reliant was the Kitten.
Before you laugh too much, just remember that they also produced a very desirable car alongside their 3 wheelers - The Scimitar - 4 wheel sports hatchback. 3000 cc Ford V6 engine. Very fast, very expensive.

For six and a half years, worked in a toolroom that was owned by a garage. They were agents for Reliant as well as BMC (2 miles down the road), so we saw all of the problems, returns and bodywork repairs to MINIs that had been standing for months, in open fields, before some 'mug' bought it, thinking it was a new car.

Mike

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

OK fellows, you have me sold. I have a friend that likes these 1970's economy cars. maybe I can talk him into one of these for his collection.
Interesting experience to put one over an open pit in the garage, to work on. :cry:
LOL, Why not just back it over the pit until the front wheel is on the Edge Brian? :wink: Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

niffnoff
Not Quite Blue Yet

robins

Post by niffnoff »

to see them at their best you have to go to kings lynn banger racing. then you will see proper rollovers? where do they get them all from

Taggart
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Taggart »

Too Funny! There is no counting the number of these that I had a hand in destroying :D

I spent a lot of time with my uncle who owned a body shop (panel beater) in Peterborough.
We had a scrap yard next door so between the two yards it was like a perpetual episode of Junk Yard Wars!
There was a favorite hill that ended in a dike. goal was to see how far you could"Surf" them :D
1962 Dexta
1982 Ford 1500 4X4 w/770 Loader
1976 Massey Ferguson 20C

Bensdexta
True Blue

Balancing Arm

Post by Bensdexta »

Mike Kuscher wrote:To roll over like that, they will have removed the shock absorbers and the balancing arm from the front single wheel.
Mike,
That sounds interesting. What did it do :scratchhead:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Dave,
Even in those days the mind went blank at times! :oops:
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Maybe too much :beer: and :buddies: the night before. :D Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Gavin
True Blue

Post by Gavin »

Brian wrote:Interesting experience to put one over an open pit in the garage, to work on. :cry:
I remember removing a gearbox from one of these years ago and did it on a 4 post ramp !!