60 farm fordson major diesel

Want to share something off-topic? This is where to put it.
John b
True Blue

Re: 60 farm fordson major diesel

Post by John b »

Cut the pipe off flush with the top of the elbow and cut it down the slot as you say, then use a hammer and an old wood chisel to bend it inwards as it will be rusted solid to the inside of the elbow (but dont hit it too hard or you'll crack the elbow where it joins the manifold). I use a recipro saw to cut them as we dont have the benefit of a slotted elbow here, and an old narrow wood chisel is sharp enough to get in between the pipe and elbow
John
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

It's not that bodgy, its just been maltreated, as when new it cleared the bonnet (but only just). I think the spark arrestor fell to bits, but you should be able to find another one.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

christojo
True Blue

Post by christojo »

Hi,
Nice tractor Sandy.
I’m trying to prime diesel filters and pump, but pump with glass bowl doesn’t seem to be pumping. still waiting on 1 pipe. Have you guys put kits in them or just replace with new? And just want to confirm bits on the injector pump. I think the oil fill is to the brass nut halfway up pump. The cap on top is just a breather. And not sure if drain is supposed to go somewhere? I’m going to try wire ignition switch but the switch only turns on so I am removing the horn to put a 19mm push button start switch in its place. I tested the starter but not enough to turn motor over as I didn’t want it to start. It does work. I’m just going to grease bits and pieces and WD40 all moving parts to free up stuff this week. And hopefully parts will come.
Thanks again
Dave

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Hi Dave, if the lift pump (with the glass bowl) isn't pumping it could be the gauze filter inside is blocked, have you stripped it and cleaned it? Or the diaphragm inside could be knackered, you can get kits for them. The cap on top is indeed a breather for the vaccuum throttle. The brass screw looks like it has been added as an oil filler and the pipe on the bottom is the oil level. It should have a 'pig tail' pipe on, a metal pipe with a loop in it to hold enough oil/diesel in the loop to stop dust going back up the pipe into the pump. It should only need oil in the pump when you first get it going (engine oil is fine) when it drips out of the bottom pipe its full, the pump then relies on diesel to lube it which is the leak off from the delivery valves in the pump, although it doesn't hurt to add oil to the pump when you service the engine
John
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Pipe wise you'll be better with copper pipes as per original, they'll be less likely to leak and easier to keep separate from one another. John's talked you through the injector pump, I think some oil will be good too. Your starter isn't original, the original one was lever operated with the solenoid near the battery. I would rig up a loose button for now until you can get an original one, leaving the horn in use.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Copper pipes would be good, have you got a pic of the pigtail pipe Sandy? So Dave can see what should be on the bottom of the pump
John

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Here's Billy's pig tail.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

christojo
True Blue

Post by christojo »

Thanks guys,
I ordered a new pump but I will pull down old pump on the weekend and check it out, I will also see if I can get copper pipe made up for bottom of pump. How high up the coil on bottom pipe should End stop ( I can’t see end in photo)
Thanks again
Dave

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

I think it's 1 1/2", but I'll check tomorrow. That isn't too important though, as long as there's a coil sufficient to hold fuel and oil there you'll be fine, as that will keep the dirt out.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

christojo
True Blue

Post by christojo »

Hi,
Tried to prime diesel again today, I got diesel up to 1 & 4 pots but nothing in 2 & 3. ( tracto almost ran on 2 pots ) I pulled lines off and cleaned out but still nothing. I took plate off injector pump to find no movement in 2 & 3. A bit of gentle persuasion just tapping the springs freed them up. I’m hoping we will have motor running tomorrow.
Fingers crossed.
Thanks guys

christojo
True Blue

Post by christojo »

I started the 60 model up today and it ran for about 30 secs than cut out. I’m thinking the filters are sucking air and probably why it had the bodgy plastic filter between lift pump and Simms pump. I did buy filters for them and the pump on the motor seems to still leak with the o ring they supplied. I kept the square seal that came out of it so thinking it’s a better option.There seemed to be bubbles in the lift pump glass bowl when turning over. Anyone had anything like this before?
Thanks in advance
Dave

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Hi Dave, it's normal to have some air in the top of the glass bowl but not bubbles coming up through the diesel if that's what is happening. If the lift pump is sucking in air then you need to start from the tank and work your way through the system, take the pipe off the the inlet side of the lift pump and let it run into a clean can for a minute to make sure you have a clear flow from the tank. Have you serviced the lift pump? A knackered diaphragm in the lift pump will cause problems (and allow diesel into the sump) and you need to cure any leaks, if diesel can get out, air can get in. There isn't really an obvious answer other than to go through the whole system and check all the seals and connections. As Sandy mentioned rubber hoses are not ideal, especially after the lift pump as the fuel is then pressurized. Check that the filter head is spotlessly clean and that it doesn't already have an old o ring still stuck in the top (sounds obvious but i've seen it happen). Also the seal on the lift pump glass bowl will allow air in if it has gone hard or the bowl isn't seated properly. Just teething troubles but you'll get there, good luck
John

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

You seem to have a leak between the tank and lift pump, is there fuel coming out somewhere there? if so get the connection nice and tight, you might find the tap o-ring needs changing too. A leak after the lift pump will ouse fuel out particularly when pumping the lift pump, but air is less likely to get in there unless it's a huge leak. Ensure the filter seals seal properly, one new Agriline one we had was unserviceable due to a small channel on one of the faces. Once you've checked all this, give the lift pump a good pump, to get the fuel under pressure.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

christojo
True Blue

Post by christojo »

Hi guys. Been busy working on the tractor. I found a couple of leaks in diesel lines. It was leaking air from line that screws in to lift pump. And line that screws into diesel filter. I'm waiting for some new ends. Also found a hole in bottom of tank which had a tec screw screwed into it. I have cleaned the diesel tank out and welded the hole up and at the moment stripping tank and all rusted bits around battery tray and air filter. I have a blue shell bath that I mix 50/50 white vinegar and water and soak the parts over night. Gernie off with high pressure. Removes rust very well. Not so good with paint but if you keep scratching the paint up and put it in multiple times it will also remove most of paint.ill put some photos up shortly.

[![20210906-103205.jpg](https://i.postimg.cc/XqHXTqQg/20210906-103205.jpg)](https://postimg.cc/8fv1vp8F)

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Looks good, I would have left the paint on so you still have original paint. Try and find rigid metal pipes, as flexible ones suffer badly from many problems.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

christojo
True Blue

Post by christojo »

I'll try and hunt down the rigid pipes. I'm just trying to use bits I can get or have. I tried to fix a couple of dents in tank but it has been painted over surface rust. I'm a spray painted by trade so for me stripping is better. I repaired a few items and etched them up today. Slowly but surely.

christojo
True Blue

Post by christojo »

:beer: :beer:

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

You're getting there slowly, the bits look good.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

christojo
True Blue

Post by christojo »

Insides painted on some bits today.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Looking good.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

christojo
True Blue

Post by christojo »

Outside of bits done today. I wasn't going to do too much on it but am taking the opportunity to show my lad how to do some rust repairs on it. Guards and nose cone next. Beer a clock I think. :beer: :beer:

dark souls 2 wallpaper

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Looks good.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

:clap:
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

christojo
True Blue

Post by christojo »

Put a few of the painted parts on.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Looks good, hope you can get running soon.
Sandy
ImageImageImage