New truck

Want to share something off-topic? This is where to put it.
Roadless63
True Blue

New truck

Post by Roadless63 »

Not a Ford but its the right colour! The latest member of the varied fleet of trucks/tractors etc. Been stored for 25yrs or so but didn't take long to get up and running again. Should give the front loader on the Power Major a rest from the "bigger" jobs!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

There used to be a company called Lincoln Fertilizer back in the 1950's, that ran these old girls pulling massive bulk tanks and applying liquid fertilizer. They were very short wheel base because of their towing duties. Going down a slope at the back of the works in one, I applied the brakes a bit too sharp and ended up nearly standing it on its nose.

We also had a petrol version with a "Queen Mary" trailer that the company used for collecting/delivering tractors.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Meanderer
True Blue
Location: Elora Ontario, Canada (transplanted from Crookwell, NSW, Australia)

Re: New truck

Post by Meanderer »

Roadless63 wrote:.... The latest member of the varied fleet of trucks/tractors etc. Been stored for 25yrs or so but didn't take long to get up and running again. Should give the front loader on the Power Major a rest from the "bigger" jobs!
I think some of you guys have way too much money and time and you definitely have way, way, way, way too much FUN! (Just kidding on the first part :lol: )

I'm like a little kid .... I see what other kids are playing with and want to have the same! :oops:

Should be pretty handy to have around .... but stay safe.

Regards,
Rick
'
Regards,
Rick

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

Wish I had too much money, then I'd have enough time to play with it all!
Forgot to give the name, it's a circa December 1940 AEC Matador which since 1971 has had a second life as a timber tractor, although not too hard as most have twisted chassis through over stretching the 7ton winch which when the overload cut-out is disconnected will pull significantly more (fortunately still connected on this machine!)
Bought it after my little 80" landrover got shunted by a Porsche 911 turbo, the ground anchors poking out the back of this beauty should save me next time.

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Beautiful truck Roadless.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Gosh an AEC! My first Army posting after training was to a Royal Artillery regiment which was equipped with Bofors 40/70 Anti Aircraft guns, FCE7 Fire control Radar sets and Meadows 271/2KVA generators. This was in 1966 and these were still in service until replaced with Leyland 16t gun tractors. The boys used to park them on a slope so that they could be bump start them as the electrics was a rubbish set up and they always had flat batteries. They used to have a heavy grill on the front as the gunners were in the habit of running onto the gun barrell of the one in front and spearing the radiator!
Enjoy!

Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

JC

Post by JC »

That looks like a neat toy, Roadless63. You answered most of my questions in your second post, except for a few. What does AEC stand for? What engine does it have in it? Is the winch PTO driven or hydraulic?
Thanks.
JC

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

AEC stood for The Associated Equipment Company but it got shortened to AEC many years ago! Although the AEC badge was used up until the late 70's on trucks the actual firm was bought out by Leyland in the 60's.
The engine is the original 7.7 litre diesel developing around 95bhp (when new!) It has 4 forward gears and one reverse in the main box, plus a high and low transfer box and selectable 4WD. The winch operates through the transfer case giving 4 winching speeds although it is recommended that only 1st and 2nd ratio are used.
It has most of its original features intact, including the sephamore for indicating when turning right! I think it is also fitted with optional high speed diffs giving a top speed of around 40mph as I've had it up to 28mph in 3rd. Full air brakes bring things to a stop pretty well!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

That was the reason I nearly stood that one I drove on its nose! I had a shortened version with the rear wheels roughly where the air tanks are in the picture. They also still had the machine gun ring and apeture in the roof.
Last edited by Brian on Wed May 14, 2008 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

This one is still on it's original wheelbase, I know Douglas shortened them for their timber conversions too. I can imagine it was somewhat heart stopping to stand one on its nose and I think I'll give it a miss! Ive seen plenty of pictures of them pulling "wheelies" when pulling a big load off the jib with the anchors dug in, this tends to fatigue and crack the chassis behind the cab though!