GPS is great!

Want to share something off-topic? This is where to put it.
Oscar
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

GPS is great!

Post by Oscar »

I've had my previous GPS system / navigation device for close to 5 yrs but decided to update it today. Got myself a new one which has a very clever traffic information system. It's outfitted with an internal SIM card, just like a mobile phone. The GPS manufacturer has struck a deal with a large mobile telecommunications provider. The location of every cellphone that is switched on is known, because it communicates to the nearest broadcast point (of which there are many). A bunch of cars standing still thus creates a heap of immobile cellphones stuck on a stretch of road. The provider continuously sends information on the whereabouts of their SIM cards to the GPS manufacturer, who in turn sends it on to the mobile GPS system in my car, using its internal SIM card. It does that once every 3 minutes, 24*7. This allows you to see where the traffic jams are, even in the middle of a city or on secondary roads. It is independent of detection systems that are built in the roads (and broadcast through TMC), which are usually found only in highways (in Europe, at least), though it receives that information as well and combines it with the cellphone data

I had my doubts about the accuracy of this method so before buying I spent a month or two using this website, which is based on it. I was impressed enough to go out and buy it, because it is really accurate. When I drove home yesterday afternoon, there were a couple of places where I had to slow down a bit because traffic congested somewhat. The device knew this way before I did and every time a small balloon popped up that said something like "There is a 1-minute delay here". For larger delays, the system will automatically offer a faster route. And when it calculates a route, it will NOT generate the same travel plan every time. The route will depend on the moment on which you travel, which is referenced against a HUGE database of average speeds at a stretch of road at a particular time. Because of the built-in SIM card, it can do all that on the fly, in the car.

This thing is incredible. It displays the maximum speed at the location you happen to be at, as well as your speed. It shows speed trap locations. It connects to Google if you need a restaurant, an ATM machine, etc. Because it connects, it doesn't need a static database that's basically a snapshot of how things were when you bought it. It also allows users to add info to the maps, such as a new speed trap, and share that info with everyone else in a fast and clever way, which allows for automatic updates to the device.

Sometimes, advances in technology are great :clap: .

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Sounds like your enjoying your holiday, with your new toy.
What mobile telecomunications service is it with. The Traffic congession part would be helpful.
Don't forget. -------------------- :needpics:
Kiwi Kev
Last edited by Kiwi Kev on Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Hey Oscar,
What model do you have? I've got a Tom Tom, but have not looked at all it's features yet. I don't know it it does what you described though. They are really great for finding "hard to find" locations.
Mine came without the manual, and I can't find one on the internet, so I'll just have to play with it.
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

Oscar
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Oscar »

I've got a TomTom too, Mark. It's a Dutch company by the way, a very innovative one. The model is a LIVE XL with all 42 European countries in it. Overall it is amazing what this thing can do, considering the very reasonable price. TomTom does make more expensive ones, but they have extra features that I would never use (such as a bluetooth carkit for the phone which I already have, or an mp3 player, etc). The Live XL does everything I could possibly ask for in terms of accurate and fast navigation.
Kiwi Kev wrote::needpics:

It will have to prove its worth this Saturday when we drive down to Southern Germany, on one of the busiest days of the year when half of Europe is going out on the road. Normally we would avoid such a day like the plague, but this year we couldn't play with the dates so we'll see how it goes.

Regards,
Oscar

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Oscar,
Now you've got my curiosity up, about "the busiest day of the year," what's going on in Europe this time of year?
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

Oscar
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Oscar »

Mark wrote:Oscar, Now you've got my curiosity up, about "the busiest day of the year," what's going on in Europe this time of year?
A couple of million people in Holland and Germany set out by car to their holiday destinations, Mark. They also have days like this in France - they call it "Black Saturday". From 4 AM onwards, the roads to the Mediterranean coast are fully congested, the jams extending for hundreds of miles. But I was headed to Southern Germany and we left home at 5 AM. As of 10 AM, progress became progressively slower but by then we'd done 5 hours at an average speed of 110 km/hr, so most of the trip had been done. It's a good thing we went early, because later on it started to rain and that made things even worse.

kiwiland dexta
True Blue

Post by kiwiland dexta »

Hey Kev, can't see you needing one at home... perhaps just for fun! I certainly make use of a portable in the bush though, great for backtracking to where you had lunch so you can go back for the things you left behind! :roll:
you know it's a classic when people stop to watch.

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

Hey Kev , whats the definition of "traffic congestion" on Norfork Island? 8)

Kiwi Kev

Post by Kiwi Kev »

The Swanndri Guy wrote:Hey Kev , whats the definition of "traffic congestion" on Norfork Island? 8)
2 cars on the same road, not necessarly going in the same direction :lol:
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

JC

Post by JC »

Oscar wrote: A couple of million people in Holland and Germany set out by car to their holiday destinations, Mark. They also have days like this in France - they call it "Black Saturday".
Oscar,
Is this holiday in celebration of some historic event? Or is it, everyone needs a vacation now, so lets go!

Oscar
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Oscar »

JC wrote:Oscar, Is this holiday in celebration of some historic event? Or is it, everyone needs a vacation now, so lets go!
It's linked to the start of the school summer holidays, which is determined regionally. There are very many people in Europe and spreading it around by region prevents a total disaster. Still, when a million people in Holland leave home for their vacation address and a multitude of Germans do the same, then the roads will be busy. The French have always been a problem, they always head for their Atlantic or Mediterranean coasts, en masse. You don't want to be stuck between them, but if your own holiday period (read: that of your kids and/or the period that your boss allows you to go) and you want to go to France, Spain or Portugal, then you don't have many options.